How NOT to Declare Your Undying Love

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

How NOT to Declare Your Undying Love

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A lovesick man becomes creepy and stalky, and finally turns violent when his crush ignores him. He now faces jail time.

August 10, 2020
Man jailed for beating nurse over insult
A 29-year-old man was charged and jailed yesterday by Svay Rieng Provincial Court after being accused of beating a nurse who allegdly insulted him.

Lieutenant Colonel Heng Sophal, deputy chief of Romeas Hek district police, identified the man as Preab Phearom and the victim as a 24-year-old nurse working at Romeas Hek district referral hospital in Kampong Trach commune’s Ta Trav village.

He said Phearom was charged with “intentional acts of violence with aggravating circumstances” under Article 218 of the Criminal Code. If found guilty, he faces two years to five years in prison.

He was arrested on Friday evening.

Lt Col Sophal said yesterday according to Phearom’s confession, the victim was obsessed with the nurse for about a year, despite her never talking to him in person.

On the night of the incident at about 6.30pm. Phearom parked his bike and waited for her at a secluded place along the road in the commune where she always drove by after work.

Lt Col Sophal said when the victim left work and arrived at the place, Phearom attempted to stop her, but she refused to pull over, insulted him and managed to drive away.

In a fit of rage, Phearom drove his bike, chased her and rammed into her motorbike, he said, noting that the nurse fell off from her bike after which he began slapping her multiple times.
“He said he beat her because she looked down on him,” Lt Col Sophal said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50753289/m ... er-insult/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How NOT to Declare Your Undying Love

Post by canucklhead »

Perhaps acting like a 10 year old was not such a cunning plan. Why would she not insult him? These kinds of attacks seem quite common here.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:29 pm “He said he beat her because she looked down on him,”
That is an unpardonable sin in Khmer culture. Don't get caught 'looking down' on anyone.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

I agree, but he set himself up for the insults by his own immature behaviour. Why not send her a rose instead of waiting in ambush?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

canucklhead wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:14 pm I agree, but he set himself up for the insults by his own immature behaviour. Why not send her a rose instead of waiting in ambush?
Probably because a majority of Khmer males are brought up by their mothers to think that they're little Princelings.

"Mak-Mak never told me 'No.' and said I was perfect, how dare this woman treat me this way."

There's even a Khmer proverb about it.

I'm paraphrasing but it's something like:

Girls are like cloth, once muddied they never get clean.......boys are like diamonds, once muddied they wash clean.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Brody wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:19 pm
canucklhead wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:14 pm I agree, but he set himself up for the insults by his own immature behaviour. Why not send her a rose instead of waiting in ambush?
Probably because a majority of Khmer males are brought up by their mothers to think that they're little Princelings.

"Mak-Mak never told me 'No.' and said I was perfect, how dare this woman treat me this way."

There's even a Khmer proverb about it.

I'm paraphrasing but it's something like:

Girls are like cloth, once muddied they never get clean.......boys are like diamonds, once muddied they wash clean.
The guy might be a bit socially retarded. All it says in the article is that he lives in a village in Svay Rieng, and that he worshipped his love interest from afar for a whole year without talking to her. She's a nurse and he is a ? Maybe she's beyond his reach socially and he knows it.
It's sad and pathetic that he attacked her. He should have tried talking to her normally like a human being, but maybe he wasn't up to that.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Anchor Moy wrote:Maybe she's beyond his reach socially and he knows it.
It's sad and pathetic that he attacked her. He should have tried talking to her normally like a human being, but maybe he wasn't up to that.
Maybe everyone is looking at this through the prism of western culture.

Just a few decades ago, forced marriages were common.

Marriage through rape was common, too.

There are Khmer songs about loving beyond your social status in life. Things don’t end well.

Cambodia still has a way to go before the people are truly westernized. Maybe mandatory ACE classes for the entire country?

Hope the woman is OK.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:36 am
Cambodia still has a way to go before the people are truly westernized. Maybe mandatory ACE classes for the entire country?
Why would you want to westernize the Cambodians ? :o

Because we are so perfect and everyone should follow our example ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic