Student Caught Bag Snatching from Chinese Restaurant Manager

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Student Caught Bag Snatching from Chinese Restaurant Manager

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On August 6, 2020, at 6:30 pm, an 18 year old boy, Tong Sereypon, a student, was arrested behind Preah Sisovath Highschool, street 51, Sangkat Psar Thmei3, Khan Don Penh, Phnom Penh, for snatching a bag from a Chinese man.

The student snatched the bag from the victim, identified as REN HONGYU, a manager at 579 restaurant, in front of the restaurant on street 334, Khan Beung Keng Kong, Phnom Penh.The bag contained 2 phones, and 2,000 USD.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Student Caught Bag Snatching from Chinese Restaurant Manager

Post by techietraveller84 »

I've noticed that Chinese from mainland China tend to carry cash, and this makes them targets for bag snatching anywhere they live/travel.
Is carrying large amounts of cash common among Cambodians as well, and is it simply a part of doing business in the country?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Cambodia is primarily a cash based economy, so yeah. Some places in the city accept credit cards, but even these are debit cards. Out of the cities, cash only. Large amounts will be carried by the locals back to their families in the provinces for the major holidays. Locals want to be paid in cash, or WING (deposit cash at one place, they pick up cash at another).
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

When sat in banks or the money shops by Olympic market I've regularly seem Khmer coming in or going out with tens of thousands of dollars in cash (an inch is roughly $25K).
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:05 am When sat in banks or the money shops by Olympic market I've regularly seem Khmer coming in or going out with tens of thousands of dollars in cash (an inch is roughly $25K).
An inch of Reil is roughly $300, and this is what you see me coming and going with. I am not in the same club has my rich Khmer brothers.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:35 am
Bluenose wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:05 am When sat in banks or the money shops by Olympic market I've regularly seem Khmer coming in or going out with tens of thousands of dollars in cash (an inch is roughly $25K).
An inch of Reil is roughly $300, and this is what you see me coming and going with. I am not in the same club has my rich Khmer brothers.
I believe he's referring to USD and not Reil...
I have seen many as well in packbags carrying lots of USD in banks...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

ssian wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:57 am
AndyKK wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:35 am
I believe he's referring to USD and not Reil...
I have seen many as well in packbags carrying lots of USD in banks...
Yes I know. I was referring to me with the Reil.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic