The Years of Zero, Coming of age under the Khmer Rouge

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

The Years of Zero, Coming of age under the Khmer Rouge

Post by OrangeDragon »

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/lo ... e_cambodia
The Angkar, or the "organization" as the Khmer Communist Party called itself, was merciless. The communists running the labor camp wanted children to work extra hours when there was moonlight. They would tie up children and beat them to death if they complained. So, then-9-year-old Ty would drag his exhausted body back to the fields for more work.

Then, for the first time in the day, Ty would break his silence — to the stars.

"Even with those children who were sleeping next to me and eating with me, I couldn't communicate," Ty said of the fearful atmosphere at the camp. "The stars were the only things I could tell what happened," Ty said. "I pretended (the bright star) was my mother and she was watching and guiding me."

He would vow to the stars: He would survive — and, one day, would tell the world what he went through in the killing fields where children's corpses floated in the canals.

Nearly four decades later, Ty kept his promise by publishing a book: "The Years of Zero, Coming of age under the Khmer Rouge."
Sounds like an interesting read. I'm still amazed how during so much starvation and death there aren't many (if any?) reports of people turning to cannibalism.
Mekong Mickey
Expatriate

Re: The Years of Zero, Coming of age under the Khmer Rouge

Post by Mekong Mickey »

I guess consuming another human being is not something most people like to boast about?

A bit like paedophilia isn't a word in khmer, maybe they don't have a word for "I just the fat bastard from next door"??
Cambod
Site Admin

Post by Cambod »

I've eaten people. I don't like to talk about it.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Cambod wrote:I've eaten people. I don't like to talk about it.
It doesn't count it they're gummy bears...
Mekong Mickey
Expatriate

Post by Mekong Mickey »

Anything that happens in G-Pub stays in G-Pub
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I recently chewed through (no pun intended, unless hilarious) a religious academic text called "Killing Fields, Living Fields" - definitely cannibalism.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic