Cooking oil collectors

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Cooking oil collectors

Post by whatwat »

I’ve seen these guys traveling around on trucks and moto-trailers with plastic containers full of old cooking oil. Wife said they use it to burn “old metal”, maybe they have an old furnace that’s run on oil. Don’t know for sure.

I thought they resold it or maybe made bio-diesel?

Anyone know for sure?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Cooking oil collectors

Post by Ghostwriter »

I don't know what they do with it, but the next Chinese step is called "gutter oil".
Google it, prepare to be amazed.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:41 pm I don't know what they do with it, but the next Chinese step is called "gutter oil".
Google it, prepare to be amazed.

I thought the idea behind it was to produce biodiesel! This is quite new to me and the actual reuse in the foodchain is a horrific idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

whatwat wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:02 pm I’ve seen these guys traveling around on trucks and moto-trailers with plastic containers full of old cooking oil. Wife said they use it to burn “old metal”, maybe they have an old furnace that’s run on oil. Don’t know for sure.

Anyone know for sure?
Waste oil has a decent price if not contaminated with water or other fluids, totally worthwhile to go out and collect it/buy it from different businesses. I'd say they prob buy engine oil as well as cooking oil. It's been some years since I sold any myself - but at the time 30l black oil would fetch 50000r
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:57 pm
whatwat wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:02 pm I’ve seen these guys traveling around on trucks and moto-trailers with plastic containers full of old cooking oil. Wife said they use it to burn “old metal”, maybe they have an old furnace that’s run on oil. Don’t know for sure.

Anyone know for sure?
Waste oil has a decent price if not contaminated with water or other fluids, totally worthwhile to go out and collect it/buy it from different businesses. I'd say they prob buy engine oil as well as cooking oil. It's been some years since I sold any myself - but at the time 30l black oil would fetch 50000r
or maybe this?

work is for people who cant find truffles
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

truffledog wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:21 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:57 pm

Anyone know for sure?
or maybe this?

One would hope not...
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

In the EU/UK the subsidies and incentives available for collecting used cooking oil and recycling it into biofuel have now made it more valuable than unused cooking oil and certainly more valuable than virgin palm oil. https://www.occrp.org/en/investigations ... ate-policy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic