Homeless Man Found Dead on the Street in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Homeless Man Found Dead on the Street in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: Residents find the dead body of a man lying on a billboard in front of a Chinese shop at 2:30 pm on August 6, 2020, along Veng Sreng Street in Trapeang Thleung 2 Village, Choam Chao I, Commune Khan Por Senchey, Phnom Penh.

The unidentified homeless man was wearing a red T-shirt and shorts.
According to sources at the scene, before the incident, the victim had complained to the nearby shopkeeper that he was not feeling well, and then he appeared to have fallen asleep on the ground. On closer inspection, they saw that the man had passed away.
Spoiler:
After the incident, people living nearby reported the death to the local authorities to check his identity and find relatives to receive the body for the traditional ceremony.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Homeless Man Found Dead on the Street in Phnom Penh

Post by explorer »

One of the sad things in Cambodia is, because so many people make begging a lifestyle choice, and run it like a business, when there is someone with a genuine need, they go unnoticed.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:00 pm One of the sad things in Cambodia is, because so many people make begging a lifestyle choice, and run it like a business, when there is someone with a genuine need, they go unnoticed.
"A lifestyle choice"? Piss off. A man dies in the street because of a "choice". Explorer, you are a sad individual. How do you know his circumstance?
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

cambo swa wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:10 pm
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:00 pm One of the sad things in Cambodia is, because so many people make begging a lifestyle choice, and run it like a business, when there is someone with a genuine need, they go unnoticed.
"A lifestyle choice"? Piss off. A man dies in the street because of a "choice". Explorer, you are a sad individual. How do you know his circumstance?
Oh, they know it all. They can even tell you why the homeless chose their own fate here: post439590.html

If you read closely, you'll even see a guy saying a 13 year old homeless kid has been there for years, thus doesn't deserve any pity.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Is English your first language? Did you read what I said?

This man, with a genuine need, went unnoticed. People are distracted by the many others who run the begging industry like a business.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:14 am
Is English your first language? Did you read what I said?

This man, with a genuine need, went unnoticed. People are distracted by the many others who run the begging industry like a business.
How do we know he wasn't just one of these guys you described earlier? :
Do you really believe drug users are hard up poor people?

Do you think they should be left where they can harass and rob people?

Where I am, I have talked to the police about a couple of people I have seen stealing.

Something which concerns me in Cambodia. Let's say one of these drug users try to rob you. You defend yourself. The person trying to rob you gets hurt. He then claims he was not trying to rob you, and you assaulted him. So you get charged with assaulting a Cambodian, and go to jail. These people do need to be removed from places where they can make trouble. They also rob Cambodians. But they target foreigners, because they believe foreigners have more money. Some foreigners are stupid enough to give them money, which makes the problem much worse. They behave like beggars when they see foreigners. Where I am, when there are a lot of visitors around, foreigners or Cambodians, they bring in police, to avoid these problems. They know it would happen without police.
?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

explorer wrote:One of the sad things in Cambodia is, because so many people make begging a lifestyle choice, and run it like a business, when there is someone with a genuine need, they go unnoticed.
Are you for real?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic