If it is difficult to come to Cambodia, I wont

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: If it is difficult to come to Cambodia, I wont

Post by hunter8 »

Personally, i’d like to see a more streamlined process which will hopefully come by October.

1) Tourist visa on Arrival returned, valid for 2-3 months as there is a risk that the first two weeks the tourist will be quarantined which is a lost holiday time.
2) Insurance requirement is no problem (i purchase one every time i travel anyway) or it can be arranged at the airport.
3) Quick 90-minute covid test at the airport and off you go.
4) Showing (not depositing) reasonable cash to pay for the quarantine if covid is found, but not at 5-star hotel room rates.

This should revive arrivals to a healthy minimum level to kickstart the tourist industry.
Last edited by hunter8 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 amIf it is difficult to come to Cambodia, I wont
Ok.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Queef wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:17 am
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 am I can live happily in Australia, and don't need to come to Cambodia. For years I have been having long visits to Cambodia. If next time I would come to Cambodia, if it is difficult, I will stay in Australia. That is, if quarantine is still necessary, if a deposit needs to be paid, if insurance is necessary, if getting a visa is difficult, or if flights are too expensive.

I know some of you have jobs and/or families in Cambodia, so you want to be in Cambodia.

But I think, the majority of people who would come to Cambodia, are more like me. So unless they make it easy, very few people will come to Cambodia.
While most people on this thread are getting a little kick from being smart asses, I think you raise some valid points:
I don't think he raised any points other than that he's actually in Australia and can't get out even if Cambodia was open. I'm sure all those young university students will manage.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:34 pm I don't think he raised any points other than that he's actually in Australia and can't get out even if Cambodia was open. I'm sure all those young university students will manage.
Just about every assumption people have made about me on this forum over the years have been wrong. I usually don't comment, but this time i will.

I am in Cambodia. I don't plan to return to Australia while it is difficult. That is while it is difficult to get flights, or while flights are too expensive, or where it is necessary to go in to quarantine when returning to Australia. We don't know how things will be in the months to come, but I may stay in Cambodia for two years or even longer.

If you read some of my other posts, you should realize I am in Cambodia.

I am also happy staying in Cambodia.

I believe it is better being in Cambodia than in some parts of Australia right now, for example Melbourne.

I wrote the original post because, when I do eventually return to Australia, I wont come back to Cambodia if it is difficult. I also thought I would start a conversation about how most people will stay away while it is difficult. I think the majority of people will react like me.

I also believe it is better being in one of the smaller towns, than being in Phnom Penh.

When I eventually don't travel, either for health or financial reasons, I plan to live in Australia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

Who cares?
Maberdeen
Tourist

Post by Maberdeen »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 am I can live happily in Australia, and don't need to come to Cambodia. For years I have been having long visits to Cambodia. If next time I would come to Cambodia, if it is difficult, I will stay in Australia. That is, if quarantine is still necessary, if a deposit needs to be paid, if insurance is necessary, if getting a visa is difficult, or if flights are too expensive.

I know some of you have jobs and/or families in Cambodia, so you want to be in Cambodia.

But I think, the majority of people who would come to Cambodia, are more like me. So unless they make it easy, very few people will come to Cambodia.
While most people on this thread are getting a little kick from being smart asses, I think you raise some valid points:
- Why would anyone bother doing all this just to go to Cambodia? Even with a job lined up, it still isn't worth it as the economy is currently at a standstill. Families can be repatriated.
- Some countries now allow people from specific countries to travel only if they're in possession of a solid insurance policy and negative test results. The said countries are by far more attractive and entertaining than Cambodia.
- Making it difficult for people to come to a country that has rapidly lost its attractiveness is only going to penalize one group of people: the average Joes.
- Traveling long distances isn't the priority for most people as we speak. The pandemic had a huge toll on people's finances. There's going to be a point when people will get tired of being stuck in their homes though. Their first choice won't be Cambodia.
- The travel policies in place in Cambodia are hurting the country's already crumbling economy. It is not even preventing new cases from coming in since foreign officials and returning locals don't get tested. It's Cambodia. What did you expect?
They do get tested, just not in advance. Testing is done at the airport on arrival. Looking at raw numbers, sure it won't stop cases going up, but at least it catches them at the airports and lessens the chance of community spread. What would you have the government do, open up its doors to a possible spike in cases?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

aggro wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:01 pmWho cares?
I don't care.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 am I can live happily in Australia, and don't need to come to Cambodia.
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 am For years I have been having long visits to Cambodia.
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 am If next time I would come to Cambodia, if it is difficult, I will stay in Australia.
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 am I know some of you have jobs and/or families in Cambodia, so you want to be in Cambodia.
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:20 am But I think, the majority of people who would come to Cambodia, are more like me. So unless they make it easy, very few people will come to Cambodia.
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:55 pm I am in Cambodia.
Master of confusion?
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:55 pm I also thought I would start a conversation about how most people will stay away while it is difficult. I think the majority of people will react like me.
Yeah, but it’s difficult to start conversations when certain forum members only wait to do personal attacks and criticise the topic starter instead of participating and expressing their opinion on the topic itself.

Does it really matter where explorer is right now. He offered a topic, this isn’t about him.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Maberdeen wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:16 pm

- Why would anyone bother doing all this just to go to Cambodia? Even with a job lined up, it still isn't worth it as the economy is currently at a standstill. Families can be repatriated.
- Some countries now allow people from specific countries to travel only if they're in possession of a solid insurance policy and negative test results. The said countries are by far more attractive and entertaining than Cambodia.
- Making it difficult for people to come to a country that has rapidly lost its attractiveness is only going to penalize one group of people: the average Joes.
- Traveling long distances isn't the priority for most people as we speak. The pandemic had a huge toll on people's finances. There's going to be a point when people will get tired of being stuck in their homes though. Their first choice won't be Cambodia.
- The travel policies in place in Cambodia are hurting the country's already crumbling economy. It is not even preventing new cases from coming in since foreign officials and returning locals don't get tested. It's Cambodia. What did you expect?
They do get tested, just not in advance. Testing is done at the airport on arrival. Looking at raw numbers, sure it won't stop cases going up, but at least it catches them at the airports and lessens the chance of community spread. What would you have the government do, open up its doors to a possible spike in cases?
It sure won't stop cases going up. Given how Cambodia has handled about anything so far (not just talking about the pandemic), it wouldn't be surprising if actual covid death were logged as heart attacks or strong winds.

Open the doors to residents of specific countries, of course. Require testing before and after the flight. End of the story. A spike in cases is inevitable at this point, whether people like to admit or not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic