Have we finally reached "peak media bias" in the USA?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Have we finally reached "peak media bias" in the USA?

Post by Born-Confused »

This was on last night.............

Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Have we finally reached

Post by Electric Earth »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:03 pm Asked what was a balanced, neutrally political opinion. Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez was what he considered mainstream, middle of the road. Anything else what way alt-right and disqualified from serious discussion.
I think that's kind of like what we have in our country now. On a scale of 1-10, it's like trump is a 9, Biden and his crap is a 7-8. Basically the only opinions presented at all are in the 7-10 range. 6 and below is just completely ignored. That's what you get with controlled media and aggressive capitalism in a government run by the Ultra-rich.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

147, 000++ dead

Trump;"It is what it is"

wow
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:50 am 147, 000++ dead

Trump;"It is what it is"

wow
Just watched the whole interview. Actually I don't have a problem with that statement at all in context. I think he answered that with great statesmanship, and he was correctly saying that when you are doing everything you possibly can to find an optimum, that you have to accept whatever point is in fact the optimum. You can't change physics because it is inconvenient.

Of course reasonable people can disagree on values and that can move the bias point slightly at the expense of other areas, but overall that wasn't his big gaff in my opinion. People's values are simply different and you might not agree with him. Where he really comes off looking like an idiot is around the 10 minute mark where he is asked the very reasonable question "When can every American have access to the same day tests like you have here in the Whitehouse?"

Paraphrased dialog:

Trump: "There are those who say you can test too much."
Reporter: "Who says that?"
Trump: "Read the books. The manuals."
Reporter: "What books?" (Genuinely confused.)

Trump changes the subject.

Aside from him being a psycopath and a demagogue, this is why I don't like Trump. Because when confronted with an uncomfortable question he makes things up. Politicians are supposed to be slippery eels that squirm out of answering a question. Trump just creates a fact on the spot to meet his narrative. True? Who knows. There is no honest, trustworthy media anymore that could hold him accountable.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

monomial wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:30 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:50 am 147, 000++ dead

Trump;"It is what it is"

wow
Just watched the whole interview. Actually I don't have a problem with that statement at all in context. I think he answered that with great statesmanship, and he was correctly saying that when you are doing everything you possibly can to find an optimum, that you have to accept whatever point is in fact the optimum. You can't change physics because it is inconvenient.

Of course reasonable people can disagree on values and that can move the bias point slightly at the expense of other areas, but overall that wasn't his big gaff in my opinion. People's values are simply different and you might not agree with him. Where he really comes off looking like an idiot is around the 10 minute mark where he is asked the very reasonable question "When can every American have access to the same day tests like you have here in the Whitehouse?"

Paraphrased dialog:

Trump: "There are those who say you can test too much."
Reporter: "Who says that?"
Trump: "Read the books. The manuals."
Reporter: "What books?" (Genuinely confused.)

Trump changes the subject.

Aside from him being a psycopath and a demagogue, this is why I don't like Trump. Because when confronted with an uncomfortable question he makes things up. Politicians are supposed to be slippery eels that squirm out of answering a question. Trump just creates a fact on the spot to meet his narrative. True? Who knows. There is no honest, trustworthy media anymore that could hold him accountable.
True with respect to finding the optimum solution.
I just get the feeling Trump is applying that kind of logic in his statement or actions. It seems clear from other sources that a national strategy wasn’t desired because “blue” states were initially impacted. To say “it is what it is” because you fumbled the ball and made a shit show is different than saying “it is what it is” when you’ve supported masks, quarantines, provided a coordinated and national response led and administered across the nation (which isn’t what we have).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic