The Khmer way of love.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The Khmer way of love.

Post by aggro »

explorer wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:10 amThere is still the bride price. In many families a foreigner would be expected to pay around double what a Cambodian would pay for the same girl.
I didn't pay one. Nor would I.

My wife didn't "want to be sold" in her words.

So there was no issue.

My best pal here, who is a Khmer guy, didn't pay any bride price either. Nor was he asked for one.

Some people here have actually entered the 21st century. You just have to find them.
They think all foreigners are very rich.
They don't think foreigners are rich.

They just think they're suckers.

They're often correct.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

aggro wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:41 pm
explorer wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:10 amThere is still the bride price. In many families a foreigner would be expected to pay around double what a Cambodian would pay for the same girl.
I didn't pay one. Nor would I.

My wife didn't "want to be sold" in her words.

So there was no issue.

My best pal here, who is a Khmer guy, didn't pay any bride price either. Nor was he asked for one.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I still don't think we have a clear definition of what entails (bride price)
Did you or your Khmer friend pay for the wedding? Is paying for the wedding considered bride price?
Do you consider giving an amount of money ( $10.000,5.000,2.000) to her parents purely as a gift not contributing to the wedding as a bride price?
Last edited by Kohker on Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

aggro wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:41 pm They don't think foreigners are rich.
Maybe they do in Kampong Bumfuk. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

aggro wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:41 pm
explorer wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:10 am They think all foreigners are very rich.
They don't think foreigners are rich.

They just think they're suckers.

They're often correct.
True. Cambodians actually bluff a lot. That is they say you have to pay a certain amount, to see if the foreigner is gullible enough to pay it. A lot of foreigners think, we are in Cambodia so we have to do things their way and make them happy. The Cambodians think, foreigners are very gullible. So the scams continue.

The reality is, most foreigners do have more money than ordinary Cambodian people. But most foreigners in Cambodia are not rich.

Cambodians don't normally give money to people other than family, except small amounts to beggars. They think foreigners think like them. When they see foreigners giving money to poor Cambodians, they do think they have a lot of money, because they have money to give to people who are not family. They don't understand the kindness of foreigners, and how people who are not rich, help the poor. Because so many foreigners have given money to the poor, they think all foreigners are rich.

A large proportion of Cambodians think that foreigners think like them. A large proportion of foreigners think that Cambodians think like them. Foreigners who speak the language and have spent a lot of time with Cambodians, have a better understanding of how Cambodians think. Cambodians who have lived in another country, have a better understanding of how foreigners think.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

Kohker wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:44 pmI still don't think we have a clear definition of what entails (bride price)
Did you or your Khmer friend pay for the wedding? Is paying for the wedding considered bride price?
Do you consider giving an amount of money ( $10.000,5.000,2.000) to her parents purely as a gift not contributing to the wedding as a bride price?
I think the definition is very clear.
No. No.
Yes.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

aggro wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:29 pm
Kohker wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:44 pmI still don't think we have a clear definition of what entails (bride price)
I think the definition is very clear.
No. No.
Yes.
Thank you aggro for clearing that up.
But did you do the whole 3 day wedding and who paid?
Thank you for your response.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

Kohker wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:33 pmThank you aggro for clearing that up.
But did you do the whole 3 day wedding and who paid?
Thank you for your response.
My wife told me very early on she hated going to weddings even when she was a kid. Her mom later told me she remembers my wife crying when asked to go to a cousins wedding at age six or seven. She didn't like noise, gossip or being surrounded by drunks. She still doesn't. More reasons why she is my wife.

My friend did a nice little reception that lasted a few hours at a hall in Phnom Penh a few years ago. His family and the bride's family split the cost. His family does okay financially. Hers is not bad either. They have something to do with the rice industry in Battambang. The wedding was pretty good. I distinctly remember the music was played at a level that actually allowed guests to converse at normal voice. The bride wore a white dress, but they didn't exchange rings. They didn't do any of the traditional stuff with chanting and the strings and all that. They weren't interested. My friend and his wife both have an uncharitable view of monks that I won't repeat here.

They have a 2 year old baby boy now, and they run a little wholesale company that does okay. They share all the money and they really seem to love to each other. He doesn't cheat on her or go out to beer gardens and stuff like most other guys I've known. They're like best friends. The baby looks Chinese though. And neither parent does. So I constantly joke with him about it.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

Thank you for that story, it's nice to know other people's lives in Cambodia varies as much as mine.
Thank you sir.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic