progress = cleanliness

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

progress = cleanliness

Post by Phnom Poon »

dirty because they're poor?
or poor because they're dirty?

How Hand-Washing explains Economic Expansion

monstra mihi bona!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: progress = cleanliness

Post by explorer »

It is an excuse they use.

They throw trash in the streets, and use the excuse it is because they are poor. It has nothing to do with poverty. It is because of the attitude they have.

Another one is the dangerous driving, or as they say, not obeying the law, which results in many people being killed.

It comes from acting as if they are superior to others.

These are areas where we need to be honest with them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Re throwing trash in the streets, I can't help think:

Is it the people's attitude or the system? Chicken or egg argument?

I mean the system as I see it in PP (with the exception of some local boreys) is for rubbish to be 'dumped' at certain areas of the street and for Centri trucks to come and collect it. In other words, no receptacles for rubbish collection.

That was the issue with that Iranian dude when he came to PP for a few days and posted a video 'Do not come to Cambodia' coz he saw piles of rubbish.

Yet, when they have the river festival, lots of bins are provided on Riverside and the locals do use them...only problem is they don't put enough such that they end up overflowing.. But I think it goes to show that IF they changed the system people would come around and do the right thing.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

When it's full , it needs to be taken away and emptied.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Poor doesn't mean they are dirty.
Rich can be extremely dirty than the poor.
People simply don't bother, that's about it.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:03 am Is it the people's attitude or the system?
I spend most of my time away from Phnom Penh. In the rural areas, there is no need to trash the town or village, or the roads.

I wrote in another post:

Trash collection should be introduced all over the country.

Payment of trash collection fees should be compulsory.

Having rubbish bins should be compulsory.

There should be fines for throwing trash in inappropriate places.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

You still see sit dumped on the sides of roads in Australia, it's a cost thing and or lazyness
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
TEKOR
Tourist
China

Post by TEKOR »

More trash bins and better system of removal. Modest fine for people who litter. Even 2$ will help initiate change.

Less trash...less rats...less flies...less infected dogs and cats ...less disease. More tourism.
Clean public areas that are frequented by tourists daily. The river, the parks and the center streets (Siem Reap).

Labor is so cheap, and this is unskilled labor, that there really is no excuse. I would recommend the city buy a street sweeper truck or two as well. They are EXPENSIVE but this constant moving around of dirt is idiotic. It ends up in the food when the wind blows. It also leads to disease and tourists hate the experience when sitting outside.

It is a beautiful country, but the garbage, flies and smells are difficult for the virgin-nosed visitor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic