Thailand attracts hordes of Chinese patients despite COVID

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Thailand attracts hordes of Chinese patients despite COVID

Post by Dunderhead »

You must believe that only covid deaths matter. You must be utterly blind to all the huge negative health effects both mental and physical of lockdown and quarantine. In your mind there appear only 2 choices either do nothing or destroy parts of the economy. You protect the vulnerable and everybody else goes on with normal life. The welfare of humanity is the alibi of every tyrant in history.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Dunderhead wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:05 am You must believe that only covid deaths matter. You must be utterly blind to all the huge negative health effects both mental and physical of lockdown and quarantine. In your mind there appear only 2 choices either do nothing or destroy parts of the economy. You protect the vulnerable and everybody else goes on with normal life. The welfare of humanity is the alibi of every tyrant in history.
I do realize that the pro- and contra-quarantine camps will never see eye to eye, and I will not even try. You have your reality, I have mine.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

My reality is the actual 3 dimensional world. Your reality cones out of 2 dimensional screens.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

How appropriate it's year of the Rat.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

crob wrote:How appropriate it's year of the Rat.
Sorry?

I was born in the Rat year.
Rats are industrious, hardworking, details oriented.

What don’t you like about Rat people?

Are you are horse or some other opposite horoscope combination?
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

hanno wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:19 am
Dunderhead wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:11 pm Because they can do basic division and figure out that the odds of anyone dying of covid is 8 in 100000. What do you think the odds of a baby dying of it are?
Last year 1.5 million died of tuberculosis a much more contagious, more dangerous virus. There was no mention of a tuberculosis pandemic.
So, you are saying just do nothing and let people die?
[Mod edit: no need for that]

How about phrasing it this way instead:

Should we eviscerate the entire economy and thrust millions into extreme poverty, causing great misery and suffering for everyone which will necessarily lead to depression, hunger and suicides, or simply allow people to live their lives as they see fit, do our best to offer the best care available and accept that the virus is simply a new feature of the landscape, just like all other diseases that are out there?

It is important you recognize that not everyone views this disease through the same lens that you do. Those whose lives have been destroyed by the government's actions realize they had a very small chance of dying from the disease, but a very big chance of their lives being destroyed by ill conceived lockdowns and the destruction of the global economy.

It is not OK to save a few human lives by destroying everything that makes us human. We need to offer care for the sick, not punishment for the healthy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic