Land of Smiles

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Land of Smiles

Post by AndyKK »

Pad Kra Pao Moo (Stir Fried Pork with Thai Holy Basil)

This Thai dish can certainly be added, to that of my personal favoured list, of all-time favourite food dishes.
One of the most popular in the top list of served dishes in Thailand I am lead to believe, being popular in many restaurants almost entirely around the county, making it alongside the others, with such likes of the group of spicy curries, Gaeng Dang (Red Curry) and Gaeng Keow Wan (Green Curry) not forgetting the slow cooked Massaman, right or wrong this popular curry reminds me of what you could call a real countryside dish, not forgetting, all types of Thai curry can pack a hefty punch, in regards to hot and spicy foods. Then, there’s my favourite out of the bunch, being that of the Penang curry, rich and creamy with its flavours reminiscent of a red curry, but it must be the uplifting citrus zing, of finely sliced kaffir lime leaves, that tends to captivate me and my taste buds.
Along with the most popular, Pad Thai Probably the most common dish served throughout Thailand, and certainly, one of the most special, and possibly number one dishes of visitors from the west.
What can I say of Pad Kra Pao Moo? I was introduced to the popular dish by a lady friend, that was some years ago when I rented an apartment in the lively city of Pattaya, staying there on average only half of the year due to ongoing work commitments back in my own country. The restaurant you could say was still that of a shack, standing on land that had not been developed as for now, that in regards by the now ever sprawling city. It was morning, the heat was bringing perspiration upon my brow, on entering the establishment, that looked that its construction was put together by that of discarded building materials, but regardless, it was a most popular place for local people.
Pad Kra Pao Moo a fitting dish to add with the others above, and certainly, one of the most special.
Wok Stir-fried together with fresh chilli, garlic, Thai Holy Basil and Sweet Basil, oyster and soy source, the latter being of dark, being my favourite. Adding the minced pork and white rice, then topped with the fried egg, in all a delight to one’s tastes and always that, of an unforgettable dish.

massage is that of another story :bow:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I prefer it with beef...:-)

I stopped eating fried rice when i learned how to say Pad thai, ผัดไทย
and more preferable
and Pad See Ew, ผัดซีอิ๊ว
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:44 pm I prefer it with beef...:-)

I stopped eating fried rice when i learned how to say Pad thai, ผัดไทย
and more preferable
and Pad See Ew, ผัดซีอิ๊ว
Now there is a nice wholesome meal, with the main ingredient in every plate of pad see ew (ผัดซีอิ๊ว) is sen yai, wide thin rice noodles, enough to leave oneself feeling full and satisfied. But this can be said for most foods in Thailand. Add too the list and ask a traveler, holidayer why go to Thailand? I would think that the reply from many would include "wow, the food". If only those words could be added in Cambodia, the place would be a win-win.
Thanking the lucky stars we can buy imported tins of baked beans.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:44 pm I stopped eating fried rice when i learned how to say Pad thai
How long, give or take, did that take you? A day? A year?
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Passed by a farm in Khon Kaen and watch the farmer planting some parts of his rice field, really peaceful and nice place. Farmer's life really hard.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

yong wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm Passed by a farm in Khon Kaen and watch the farmer planting some parts of his rice field, really peaceful and nice place. Farmer's life really hard.
It could be said that the work of the farmers world wide, is that of hard work in most weather conditions, we should have a thought of their daily labours, because, due to this it was those people who helped put food on each of our tables.
Khon Kaen is a nice part of Thailand, I actually lived next door for a short time in the land where dinosaurs once walked. Kalasin.
2008 I celebrated new years eve in Khon Kaen, before taking my early morning flight to Bangkok and then onwards back to England.

Pad Kra Pao Moo (Stir Fried Pork with Thai Holy Basil) My partner made for me last night :bow:

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Something simple, fish porridge, yet it takes time for the soup

Breakfast is ready

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Thai seafood tonight

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Had breakfast with a colleague this morning - Thai Chinese Noddle

Kwayteow noodle soup

Tomyam noodle soup
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

My sunday breakfast at a shop near home

This is the way to eat, break the yolk let it drip to the rice and eat withe the krapow
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic