SMS Sender ID restrictions

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Bonnetdedouche
Tourist
Cambodia

SMS Sender ID restrictions

Post by Bonnetdedouche »

Does anybody here has some knowledge of local telcos internals egarding incoming sms ?
In particular, do you know if sender id needs to be pre-registered ?
Twillio lists cambodia as fully dynamic, no registration required but sending with a shortcode TPOA fails.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: SMS Sender ID restrictions

Post by Username Taken »

I would guess that it should work, but I really don't know.

I would 'guess' (there's that word again) that it might be the way you are entering the recipient number. Are there no logs you can check? Or Wireshark?

You might have better luck on the Twillio forums or Support.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have found some text messages sent from Australia are not received in Cambodia. I have made voice calls to the same numbers.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

Yes, they recently started SMS sender name registration. This is a very new process that all telcos are trying to apply.
From what I know grey market providers would still be able to get you customized sender names even without registration, the only dis-advantage is these grey market deals are unsecure and you risk getting your brand sendername black listed permanently by the telcos.

if you are trying to blast SMS and have an existing database, go for legit suppliers. Google sms service cambodia, just choose the one that you can actually meet in person
Bonnetdedouche
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Bonnetdedouche »

Thanks for your reply @rockyboy612

Do you know how it works with shortcodes ? They seem to be handled differently than alphanumeric sender ids.
I managed to send and receive using a custom alphanumeric sender id but not with a shortcode.
I wonder if shortcodes always need to be registered with the operator or if this is country-specific.
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

Shortcodes are very possible, but definitely would require registration with the telcos, possibly you may need to reach all of them. It would be much easier if you have a local SMS supplier to handle all that. And yes prepare your wallet. lol
Bonnetdedouche
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Bonnetdedouche »

Thanks.
It's actually not for me to use ;) I just use twillio to send otps with default numbers.

My bank in europe tries to send me sms using a short ode. I don't receive them and am trying to convince their IT they can't use a french shortcode and expect it to work intertionnally.
Of course their reply is always "works fine, check your phone settings...".
A statement from Mobitel would be great but I have no mean of contacting them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic