Curious on the best industry to look for work in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Curious on the best industry to look for work in PP

Post by HappyChappy »

SO! The question on everyone's mind right?

Basically my background is in sales.......but that was in the UK and I am NOT leaving, I LOVE it here. There are a lot of misconception about this country, the best way to learn in my opinion, is to DO.

So my question is, do I rely on my current skillset in Phnom Penh or find a new industry, in your opinion what is the best industry in the city for a white male to attempt to get into, please keep in mind I'm only looking to break even.

Funny answers welcome, but as always, thank you in advance for your positive, helpful feedback.

- HappyChappy
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Re: Curious on the best industry to look for work in PP

Post by Mr.November »

Times are not as great as previously and it may take longer than usual to find a job for a foreigner, and with a lower compensation than say a year ago. In terms of Sales, real estate industry is a place with vacancies. But you have to think what value would you bring, as they focus on sales mostly to the locals and the Chinese (or other Asians), and it's all based on a lie (property is soon to be in a dire situation).

From the replies to my applications and after speaking with the recruitment agents I see most local companies now want to hire local staff, not foreigners. Some are happy to hire foreign experts too, but only can pay local wages (think $1000-$2000 a month).

In my opinion, instead of looking for work you would be better off meeting local business people, see what they need, and either start a venture that caters to that need (with them being your first clients) or become an online freelancer and sell your services/products worldwide while being based here.

You can easily incorporate in the UK and open Paypal + bank account + Stripe for credit cards without leaving home and start trading globally. Set up a website, FB, LinkedIn pages, and market yourself all over the English speaking world.

If you need some friendly advice on how to set everything up within a couple of weeks for around 200 GBP let me know: [email protected]
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

HappyChappy wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm SO! The question on everyone's mind right?
Not really
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Sales.... Have you ever thought of entering the wonderful exciting world of Pimping.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Not sure why you have to ask what to do on a forum when the answer is so obvious.

You are a native speaker.

Teach English ffs.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

crob wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:45 pm Sales.... Have you ever thought of entering the wonderful exciting world of Pimping.
That can be a tough profession in a recession.. :stir:

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

It is possible to get work in Sales in Cambodia if you have management experience. Khmer language skills a bonus but not a necessity.
Mr November is on the right track. Follow up with him.

The world is a different place now, so if you can put your sales skills to work online, either locally or internationally, you could do well.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Mr.November wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:29 pm

From the replies to my applications and after speaking with the recruitment agents I see most local companies now want to hire local staff, not foreigners. Some are happy to hire foreign experts too, but only can pay local wages (think $1000-$2000 a month).
To add to this; it's not what you know, but who you know in Cambodia moreso than many places around the world.

So you could have a great cv, speak to all the agents etc and get nowhere. Or you meet the right person accidentally and walk into an easy 3/5k a month, plus expenses and benefits in kind.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:14 pm
Mr.November wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:29 pm

To add to this; it's not what you know, but who you know in Cambodia moreso than many places around the world.

So you could have a great cv, speak to all the agents etc and get nowhere. Or you meet the right person accidentally and walk into an easy 3/5k a month, plus expenses and benefits in kind.
Bump , titty bump. bump bump.

general-chatter/have-you-lost-your-job- ... cv#p407336
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic