Some sort of police raid on hostess bars in st 130 and 136?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Some sort of police raid on hostess bars in st 130 and 136?

Post by lostjeremy »

nemo wrote:Traffic cops cracking down too. They have speed cams now and are using them.
Impressive ones also. They got me up in Steung Treng province the other day. Stopped me and immediately showed me the speed cam footage showing me doing 79 in a 60 with exact latitude/longitude coordinates. Zoomed in my license plate and on my face from about 300m away.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Wolf359 wrote:No pool table outside Route? LAME :(
?

The cops are on a tear and the bars are ‘lame’ for not doing MORE to irritate them?

So if a bar follows your suggestion and puts an outside pool table during the crackdown and subsequently gets shut down by the cops, will you pay all those now out of work bar workers?

I don’t understand this thinking.
Wolf359
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Wolf359 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:14 am
Wolf359 wrote:No pool table outside Route? LAME :(
?

The cops are on a tear and the bars are ‘lame’ for not doing MORE to irritate them?

So if a bar follows your suggestion and puts an outside pool table during the crackdown and subsequently gets shut down by the cops, will you pay all those now out of work bar workers?

I don’t understand this thinking.
Yes, clearly you don't understand. Since that wasn't what I was saying. That was a whole lot of assumption on your part. No pool table outside is lame. Which means not having a pool table outside is lame. Nothing more nothing less. Not that they need to defy the order. I made no suggestion, that's just you assuming incorrectly.

And I doubt they would be out of work considering that place is owned by some folks who have 5 other locations within roughly 2 blocks of it. Just to entertain your hypothetical.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

lostjeremy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:12 pm
nemo wrote:Traffic cops cracking down too. They have speed cams now and are using them.
Impressive ones also. They got me up in Steung Treng province the other day. Stopped me and immediately showed me the speed cam footage showing me doing 79 in a 60 with exact latitude/longitude coordinates. Zoomed in my license plate and on my face from about 300m away.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

What did they say to you? “Why aren’t you talking on your mobile and why are you sober sir?” :beer3:
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

looks like there will be some cheap outdoor furniture about
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

With the illegal awnings gone on both 130 and 136, the streets look eerily spacious :bigeyes:

And the traffic cops are coming 3-4 times a day to check on parking infringements.. :clap:

The girls don't have so much shelter now nor places to sit out the front...maybe they will have to spend more time in the bar rather than outside spruiking for customers and getting hungry looking at food carts :Yahoo!:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:59 pm With the illegal awnings gone on both 130 and 136, the streets look eerily spacious :bigeyes:

And the traffic cops are coming 3-4 times a day to check on parking infringements.. :clap:

The girls don't have so much shelter now nor places to sit out the front...maybe they will have to spend more time in the bar rather than outside spruiking for customers and getting hungry looking at food carts :Yahoo!:
I feel sorry for them. They have no shelter from the sun that sits over 136 most of the day. Sitting outside in the shade and people watching on 136 and 5 are now gone. Pity...
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

Now they have many big umbrella outside.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

A group of police were at Larry's taking issue with their awning a short time ago.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:46 am A group of police were at Larry's taking issue with their awning a short time ago.
FFS... they made them take away the flower pots and trellis, then reduce the patio by 50%. If they remove the awning then the outside area is screwed, it faces east to west with no shade so will be unbearable to sit out there. They have spent good money installing proper fans to make it pleasant to sit out there, once of the few outside places I will sit.

It's just vandalism by morons. I was told it is all about Khmer jealousy hating white man making any money. Those business' are on the floor at the moment and they go around doing this shit?

I have a theory that they are intent to drive all those riverside business into the ground, then the rents will fall along with the value of the buildings. Buy them up, flatten them and then redevelop the whole of the area with 20+ storey apartments and commercial buildings. Everything from street 5 to Riverside under 4 storeys is fair game.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic