Gone with the wind

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Gone with the wind

Post by newkidontheblock »

Holy wow, JB!

Your understanding of every dimension of this issue is beyond comparison.

Glad that you aren’t one of those occupy Seattle nutters, then.

I for one believe every politically questionable or offensive film should be shown. Forgetting the past, repeats the future. An educated public is the best defense.

Uncle Tim’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe should be read in schools, with the runaway slaves jumping on ice floes to escape their pursuers and all.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:27 am Apparently the welfare state, gun control and abortion are all black creations.
What? I can't find that anywhere in his posts.
thold
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by thold »

Have you ever wondered why such a small Belgium is so rich? Former colonial empires should pay ... pay ... for long time... and over the next decades (centuries?) compensation to their colonies. Fortunately, the Euro-Atlantic order is already over. I will never come back.

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Foreigner wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:22 pm
bit off topic, but i for one would love to **** a bird who speaks like that one at 17.30.
I have to agree with those who say we seem to be having an issue with some recent members who come on here with the main intent of just irritating others with far-Right posts, and may or may not be interested in Cambodia, and we are making efforts to get rid of these individuals. As I've said before, we really don't care what your political stance on things are, and have 'no dog in this fight' other than keep CEO a fun place to speak your mind where all are welcome. But when some come on here to spew a bunch of shit just to ruffle feathers, it's doing the overall community no favors to let them stay. And there's been a lot of good debate from people with all sorts of opinions, but it's up to us to decide who's just here to stir up shit, and we try to be as fair as possible. I've even said very positive things about Trump's administration for the US on here, so it's not even like I'm out to stop anyone who is anywhere Right of center, but I think it's fair to say that if even I'm annoyed by some of the crap a few individuals post, it's probably annoying as shit for many, many others.

Foreigner, you've been banned more than once in the past for some of your garbage, and I think it's clear that you're more interested in pissing people off than discussing anything of substance. So goodbye. And no, it's not just because of this single post I quoted.

I like seeing both sides of things. This whole Gone with the Wind thing is pretty interesting. Do I personally think it should be banned? No. Do I want to hear from people who think it should? Absolutely. As with almost anything, I think you can make valid points from numerous positions, and many topics of discussion can never be 100% decided on by all.

One of the random and many things I've changed my mind over is capital punishment. Believe it or not, it was over a fine bottle of wine with none other than Scobienz. (By 'fine wine' I mean a $10 bottle on some Italian restaurant on Street 172, lol.) I was all for capital punishment. If some shithead murders another citizen or two, fuck em, death penalty. But he brought up some good points, the main one that stuck with me is the government having the power to decide to kill a citizen. Yeah, maybe it's not a great idea to give any government the authority to decide to kill someone or not. Where do you draw the line? I don't know, but it was a civil discussion, and I was glad we had it, and even left with a new opinion on something I thought I had already decided on. Oops, I digress..

And as always, thanks to those who take the time to use the report feature and leave a note telling us exactly why a post should probably be waxed. I know we don't always correct things exactly as you would, or we wait a bit longer than you would have decided, but we also try very hard to make sure people can express things without getting banned over a single post that may be worded poorly, etc. It's always about finding balance, and we will continue to do our best to be fair about modding actions here.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

George Washington owned a 124 slaves yet Abraham Lincoln owned none. Why should others pay for other peoples mistakes?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 016a85833e

It would appear that if you don't support the current centerpiece of protest then you are branded a supporter of the "other "view and will be shat upon on twitter etc. It is evident that Ms Markle has had to fling away her friendship of many years of her BFF because of something she said to another (I think it was a private conversation)

Anyway Ms Markle (Prince Harrys other half) was quoted as saying

“Meghan said friends reflect friends and because of what's at stake she can no longer be associated with Jessica, at least not in public. She has to do what she has to do in order to preserve her dignity and her own reputation.”

What crap we are letting happen just to avoid being called out for being a friend or knowing someone who made any statement (could be years ago too)

Lets get real...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Arget wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:56 am It would appear that if you don't support the current centerpiece of protest then you are branded
Is there still room for debate?

Betteridge's Law of Headlines says no

monstra mihi bona!
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Part II is happening right now.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

looks like Atlanta is burning again .
156 years ago,,, Sherman burned the city on his march to the sea
now the locals are doing it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Not a bad innings..

Gone With the Wind star Olivia de Havilland dies at 104

Olivia de Havilland, pictured in 2016.

Though de Havilland appeared in about 60 movies and television shows, she was best known for her role in David O. Selznick's production of the Margaret Mitchell novel. She played the gentle Melanie Hamilton, who marries Ashley Wilkes, the man loved by Vivien Leigh's tempestuous Scarlett O'Hara. Wilkes's character was portrayed by Leslie Howard.

Nominated for an Academy Award as best supporting actress, de Havilland lost to Gone With the Wind co-star Hattie McDaniel, who played Mammy, the matriarchal maid who cares for Scarlett. De Havilland later won Oscars for best actress in 1947 and 1950.

Olivia De Havilland, Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable in Gone With The Wind.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/cultur ... 55fnu.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic