Authorities Discover That Filling in Cambodia's Waterways and Wetlands Causes Flooding

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Re: Authorities Discover That Filling in Cambodia's Waterways and Wetlands Causes Flooding

Post by Cambo Dear »

aggro wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:49 pm When I first moved to Phnom Penh the streets regularly flooded with water. Back about 10 years there were plenty of times I had to wait for a road to drain to go somewhere. Starting about 2-3 years ago, it got a lot less common. I think it's just because there's less rain. Is my guess accurate? I don't know where to look up the rainfall records.

I moved up country last year. So I don't know what it's like in PP now. Here in Siem Reap there has been surprisingly little rain this "rainy season." I am new here. But I talked to locals, they said it's well below average.
I don't claim any expertise, but logic would seem to follow that if there are less places for the water to drain, then more floods are likely. However, the Japanese have been trying to improve the city's water infrastructure for a decade or more - maybe they have helped to manage the flooding better in parts of the city in recent years?
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Authorities Discover That Filling in Cambodia's Waterways and Wetlands Causes Flooding

Post by aggro »

Cambo Dear wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:07 pm
aggro wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:49 pm When I first moved to Phnom Penh the streets regularly flooded with water. Back about 10 years there were plenty of times I had to wait for a road to drain to go somewhere. Starting about 2-3 years ago, it got a lot less common. I think it's just because there's less rain. Is my guess accurate? I don't know where to look up the rainfall records.

I moved up country last year. So I don't know what it's like in PP now. Here in Siem Reap there has been surprisingly little rain this "rainy season." I am new here. But I talked to locals, they said it's well below average.
I don't claim any expertise, but logic would seem to follow that if there are less places for the water to drain, then more floods are likely. However, the Japanese have been trying to improve the city's water infrastructure for a decade or more - maybe they have helped to manage the flooding better in parts of the city in recent years?
Logic doesn't always dictate here, unfortunately. I think they put drainage systems around Psar Kandal twice just in the time I've been here.

Anyone remember the automated paid parking down around Wat Ounalom?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic