Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by cautious colin »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 am you all do understand
a Travel bubble between 2 countries in SE Asia will be for LOCAL passport holders, NOT the majority of us on here. :-)

Being on a US passport living in Thailand, a travel bubble between thailand and Malaysia, Burma, Laos etc will not apply to me ( at least my opinion)
Yes that's probably true, it would however be the first step into opening up for everyone, and quite possibly get a few airlines back up and running, which would make travelling when we could a little easier.

Now that's been set back another couple of months
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Rtrac »

Curious to know: did any of the confirmed cases (225 as of a recent count) come from someone who had to follow the Covid 19 PCR negative requirement prior to boarding their plane to Cambodia?
I know Khmer do not have to have a Covid 19 PCR test to fly home. And on July 17, 2 American diplomats were tested positive (they too are excluded from getting screened prior to flight).

Would it not make sense to change the policy to have ALL persons demonstrate a negative Covid 19 PCR before boarding a airplane?

It would make me feel better knowing that all passengers are screened to the same standard.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Rtrac wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:57 pm Curious to know: did any of the confirmed cases (225 as of a recent count) come from someone who had to follow the Covid 19 PCR negative requirement prior to boarding their plane to Cambodia?
I know Khmer do not have to have a Covid 19 PCR test to fly home. And on July 17, 2 American diplomats were tested positive (they too are excluded from getting screened prior to flight).

Would it not make sense to change the policy to have ALL persons demonstrate a negative Covid 19 PCR before boarding a airplane?

It would make me feel better knowing that all passengers are screened to the same standard.
From the article in the "Flights to Phnom Penh" thread:

“The fact that there are no stringent requirements for Cambodians to board a flight home is a telling point as almost none of more than 100 infected since the lull in April 12, were foreigners. Almost all were Cambodians or Cambodian dual nationalities."
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:00 pm
Rtrac wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:57 pm Curious to know: did any of the confirmed cases (225 as of a recent count) come from someone who had to follow the Covid 19 PCR negative requirement prior to boarding their plane to Cambodia?

From the article in the "Flights to Phnom Penh" thread:

“The fact that there are no stringent requirements for Cambodians to board a flight home is a telling point as almost none of more than 100 infected since the lull in April 12, were foreigners. Almost all were Cambodians or Cambodian dual nationalities."
The pre-flight testing within 72 hours is the most onerous condition and requires you to have a good working knowledge of your local healthcare systems, and maybe even registration with a doctors practice. In my case I knew that the NHS would be of no use, so I went private - at a cost.

Had I been travelling from a very foreign country - not Europe or an English speaking country, lets say... Belarus just for example - getting organised and ensuring the timelines were met, original signature, rubber stamps etc would be a whole new challenge. Local knowledge and communication skills is everything on such a task.

For many Cambodians working abroad getting back is a huge cost in normal times, at the moment it will plunder whatever money they have managed to save. I suspect many are returning because their work has ended. Adding another $2-3-400 to their costs for testing and requiring them to get sufficiently organised to comply with the 72 hour timeline is probably asking too much of them.

They are all tested when they arrive and the system seems to be working quite well. For non-Cambodians to bear the burden of 14 days hotel quarantine due to Cambodians arriving infected is a major flaw in the system, but as soon as the local insurance policy is available and the $3000 deposit is not at risk, this burden can be alleviated. The fact that so many are turning up infected just goes to show how widespread worldwide infections are at the moment.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Infections do not equal sick people, but that is always how it's portrayed.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Dunderhead wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 am Infections do not equal sick people, but that is always how it's portrayed.
HUH :please:
maybe 95% of those infected will show some symptoms that = SICK

If ur not sick, why would u get tested?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

phuketrichard wrote:
Dunderhead wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 am Infections do not equal sick people, but that is always how it's portrayed.
HUH :please:
maybe 95% of those infected will show some symptoms that = SICK

If ur not sick, why would u get tested?
Something like 30%+ not showing symptoms is what's been said almost from the beginning, not 5%. It's likely even higher than that after the carrier incident and 60%+ had antibodies despite displaying zero symptoms.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Asymptomatic people are still contagious.

Instead of banning flights from Malaysia and Indo, the govt should place the same requirement on Cambodian nationals to have a <72 hour negative test result.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Such a scary virus. 8 per 100000 dead globally by the official numbers. 645 K with 7.8 billion on the planet. Is math scary? Can't you do division and use your own mind to see the obvious? I guess not. Wear your mask slave.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Last edited by hunter8 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic