Saudis Trying To Bust US Shale Oil Boom

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Saudis Trying To Bust US Shale Oil Boom

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:It makes you wonder why ANY country capable of mining enough of it's own crude would enslave itself to a world supplier that was so polar opposite to itself in every respect.
wackyjacky wrote:..., but the recovery costs are much higher...
Understood, but now consider the social costs... if certain middle Eastern countries weren't stupidly rich on black tea, would there be less modern warfare? Would IS exist?
The overall concept is "why deplete ours, when we can use theirs..? then when theirs runs out and we're the last kid on the block with any left, we get to set any price we want."
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Forget costly Shale oil. The North slope of Alaska (and the Bering Sea) have more oil than the whole middle east. There was suppose to be two oil pipelines built and a gas line but the US government with pressure ($$$$$) from the middle east only allowed one pipeline. Also originally the oil from the North Slope was suppose to be for the US only and only carried by US ships. Well, the US corrupt politicians changed that and North Slope oil now goes to Asia on foreign flag vessels. ( I'm 20 years in Alaska and a merchant mariner.)

My Eskimo friends used to tell me about being out in the Bering Sea walrus/whale hunting and there were areas of natural gas bubbling to the surface of the sea. A major oil company drilled three wells in the Bering Sea in the '80s, found oil and gas, and the government twisted their arm to cap them and walk away. (at the behest of the oil-arabs.)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:when theirs runs out and we're the last kid on the block with any left, we get to set any price we want."
I think you're giving the US too much credit.
Sailorman wrote:A major oil company drilled three wells in the Bering Sea in the '80s, found oil and gas, and the government twisted their arm to cap them and walk away. (at the behest of the oil-arabs.)
Whereas this rings more true, and I think I've heard it before. Documentary, maybe?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Hey that Kim Kardashian's arse as so much oil on it, America is thinking of invading.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

StroppyChops wrote:
Sailorman wrote:A major oil company drilled three wells in the Bering Sea in the '80s, found oil and gas, and the government twisted their arm to cap them and walk away. (at the behest of the oil-arabs.)
Whereas this rings more true, and I think I've heard it before. Documentary, maybe?
I remember hearing a similar story about an oil discovery in Mt Gambier, SA when I was a kid - just being capped and abandoned.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joker Poker wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
I remember hearing a similar story about an oil discovery in Mt Gambier, SA when I was a kid - just being capped and abandoned.
Same.

And an "endless" gas/oil field recently discovered off Rottnest Island (Perth, Australia) seems to have gone quiet, even though Australia has the refineries to handle the product, and established LNG markets with China.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

While in Alaska I had a girlfriend who's father was vice-president of Marathon Oil Company. He offered me a job running the food service on all three oil rigs in the Bering Sea.(in hopes that I would marry is daughter.) He told me directly that they had found vast amounts of oil and gas. Later it was capped and forgotten.

One of the problems in America is the old refineries can't keep up and almost no new ones are being built.

I had a chance to be an Engineer on an LNG tanker. No way! They are floating bombs, but the pay offered was really good.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Maybe they're being saved for a rainy day. I think the relationship with the oil Arabs is one of necessity, and they'll be dumped as soon as they're no longer useful.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

The relationship with the oil-arabs has more to do with money paid to US politicians and their friends in the US than anything else. Second and sometimes first is power/control over the American people by the people who are suppose to represent us, not be an elite untouchable class.

Ban American politicians from consorting with oil-arabs/their lobby-surrogate lobbyist in Washington DC and see how long their monopoly lasts. Ban all lobbyists and their dirty money from US politics and we my have an actually government again. (one can only dream.)

During the oil crisis back in the '70's I knew a guy who was a merchant mariner on Shell oil tankers. He said that they were shipping more oil to the US during the shortage than ever before. Somebody got rich off of that one and it wasn't the American public.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic