$3000 deposit + everything else

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: $3000 deposit + everything else

Post by phuketrichard »

I can't find any insurance here for sale. Anywhere. It doesn't exist I think.
I am assuming I can get a 1 month business upon arrival.
You cant travel to Cambodia without these 2 IMPORTANT items in advance

Have you read anything here ( especially doc67 or atst posts (i'd love to know what atst stands for :-) )?

if you got it, you got it,
if not stay home by yourself and order in
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:41 am (i'd love to know what atst stands for :-) )?
It stands for All Terrain Scout Transport (AT-ST), which just happens to be what his avatar is a pic of.

Presumably a Star Wars fan.

:hattip:
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

TEKOR wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:26 am

I am coming back with 13 grand and 2 blank passport pages plus 1 ("blank" page where my old stamp fell off).

Hoping for the best, but this shit-hole of a country is completely infected. Florida has zero ICU beds available in 57 hospitals.
just how many ICU beds are there available in Cambodia?

Would be far less safe to get Covid in Cambodia than a Western nation, I'm sure.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Two years ago i was in HKG for 2 days. I did not get a stamp in my passport but received a paper slip. So that should be not a problem. In Canada I always got a stamp, I am European.

HKG: Review the transit situation, same for Canada. I hope this is all ONE ticket, not two or several bookings combined into one itinerary.

Allianz or AXA seem to have COVID-19 insurance available online for US citizens. Google will be your friend and check some travel fori for info in order to narrow down the search.

I think I saw otf someone who got a biz visa in the US. Maybe a good idea to check that, apologies to the moderators for bringing that up. Otherwise that place is pretty void of useful info aside from one European report.

IF (!) you cant get a Cambo visa, you might like to check alternatives to SEA as it is pretty much closed for anybody looking like a tourist.

Georgia comes to mind. Low cost, almost covid-free, decent infrastructure, food, public transport, very affordable overall cost-structure. 1 year stamp on arrival and NO visa needed. THey are opening next week for incoming flights. They even pay some interest on your US account which you can open without problems. The coast near Batumi is ok in summer. If you like glaciers and alpine mountains, you are in the right spot. Cuisine is very diverse and top notch. Good local wine. Lots of culture. Russian stile 19th century cities. Beautiful Iranian expat ladies, dress properly. Overall, Georgia is considerably cheaper than Cambodia in regard to rent, food, transport, absence of visa expenses. Plus the love Americans.

Now you're living in a third world country with an insane tribal chieftain at the top. Such circumstances do not go down well in the civilized world and you have been banned from entering non-savage territory, speak the EU. You would need to figure out how to make to Georgia and if they would let you in, which will involve quarantine. Turkey might be a first step. They will be operating flights to Georgia soon. RIght now Lufthansa is making a start on Aug. 2.
Still, Turkish airlines is showing flights from IAD via IST to Tbilisi for August. But wait until the Georgians officially sanction THY flights. This way you can avoid the EU. Not sure when THY will start flying from Miami.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:37 pm Two years ago i was in HKG for 2 days. I did not get a stamp in my passport but received a paper slip. So that should be not a problem. In Canada I always got a stamp, I am European.

HKG: Review the transit situation, same for Canada. I hope this is all ONE ticket, not two or several bookings combined into one itinerary.

Allianz or AXA seem to have COVID-19 insurance available online for US citizens. Google will be your friend and check some travel fori for info in order to narrow down the search.

I think I saw otf someone who got a biz visa in the US. Maybe a good idea to check that, apologies to the moderators for bringing that up. Otherwise that place is pretty void of useful info aside from one European report.

IF (!) you cant get a Cambo visa, you might like to check alternatives to SEA as it is pretty much closed for anybody looking like a tourist.

Georgia comes to mind. Low cost, almost covid-free, decent infrastructure, food, public transport, very affordable overall cost-structure. 1 year stamp on arrival and NO visa needed. THey are opening next week for incoming flights. They even pay some interest on your US account which you can open without problems. The coast near Batumi is ok in summer. If you like glaciers and alpine mountains, you are in the right spot. Cuisine is very diverse and top notch. Good local wine. Lots of culture. Russian stile 19th century cities. Beautiful Iranian expat ladies, dress properly. Overall, Georgia is considerably cheaper than Cambodia in regard to rent, food, transport, absence of visa expenses. Plus the love Americans.

Now you're living in a third world country with an insane tribal chieftain at the top. Such circumstances do not go down well in the civilized world and you have been banned from entering non-savage territory, speak the EU. You would need to figure out how to make to Georgia and if they would let you in, which will involve quarantine. Turkey might be a first step. They will be operating flights to Georgia soon. RIght now Lufthansa is making a start on Aug. 2.
Still, Turkish airlines is showing flights from IAD via IST to Tbilisi for August. But wait until the Georgians officially sanction THY flights. This way you can avoid the EU. Not sure when THY will start flying from Miami.
Canada no longer stamp UK passports from Manila. I was in Vancouver in March. Cannot be sure of US passports. The immigration was a bank of machines that ask set questions, scanned your passport and issued you with a piece of paper that you gave a human at a bottleneck.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

God'sGift wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Would be far less safe to get Covid in Cambodia than a Western nation, I'm sure.
There is no shortage of beds in Cambodia for Coronavirus because there are so few patients. Its as safe as anywhere since unless you are over 85 and already sick with something else your chances of dying are only slightly greater than being hit by a meteor.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

God'sGift wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:55 pm
TEKOR wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:26 am

I am coming back with 13 grand and 2 blank passport pages plus 1 ("blank" page where my old stamp fell off).

Hoping for the best, but this shit-hole of a country is completely infected. Florida has zero ICU beds available in 57 hospitals.

@TEKOR Should they be letting people leave Florida atm anyway ? Don't take this personally, but Florida is the new Wuhan. You are in THE virus hot-spot, just like Wuhan at the beginning of the pandemic, except that they are letting you travel apparently. And the more people travel out of Florida, the worse it will be for everyone else. Why not stay home and wait till things calm down ?
TEKOR
Tourist
China

Post by TEKOR »

I actually looked at Georgia recently, but found that it was somewhat more expensive than Cambodia in those areas. Web isn't always accurate though I suppose.

I just don't see things dying down anytime soon. U.S. just hit a new milestone at 100,000 dead. I think things are rocketing the opposite direction. I am not particularly fond of my home country (another topic in itself) and they are not printing any passports. Honestly, it's quite boring here and I just can't stomach being around this many Americans for this amount of time. Sorry Uncle Sam. I know it stings.

Cruising around on my scooter, having a beer, alone in the rice fields is fine with me.

Yes, you are correct by saying it is more than my life being in danger. I have taught there for the last 4 years. Hundreds of students whom I love very much.
My last school did a great job of temp screenings and having hand sanitizer available, but in my opinion fell short of what is required. It wasn't long after the Facebook photos were uploaded showing-off the "process" that it diminished to nearly nothing. With all these people coming back, the virus IS going to sneak in. It is going to be bad in Cambodia also, although I earnestly hope I'm wrong.

I am worried. One of my kindergarten classes had 36 kids packed inside it. Barely room to move.
I am bringing experience and knowledge. I want to help keep them safe. Screw the English for now. I want to ensure my school, and perhaps even other schools are operating safely and that kids are protected. I just don't have confidence in the locals doing it properly if it happens here. This isn't a slam on them, they just don't have the experience in dealing with this virus. Sure they will shut shit down if it gets bad... but at what price?

My COVID test came back negative today so I guess its just a regular bug. Looking for insurance now.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

As of yesterday, Georgia has postponed international flights to Sept. 1 at the earliest. Only Air France, Lufthansa and flight from Riga on airbaltic are allowed. 5-6 flights total per week.

Forget about airbnb and that stuff. You will get a decent room with cooking facility for 8 -10 USD per day but not in Batumi and adjacent areas as they are busy for the summer holidays until late Sept. Tbilisi is possible as no Russians and others are there.

If you go to more out of the way places, not Svaneti, rent goes down dramatically.

Food is definitely much cheaper for meat, fruits, veggies. Imported stuff equal or much less. Georgia is tied a bit to the EU and imports from there not from Russia etc. I have been to Georgia many times in the past years and it is the island i m trying to reach. My plan would be to start communicating with the Cambo embassy in Ankara, Turkey, and figure out how to get a new visa. My retirement EOS is gone. After that travel overland to Turkey should be possible and then a flight from Istanbul to Cambo on Asiana.

I'd say depending on your preferences you can live on 300-320 USD a month for housing, incl. utilities, and food without starving or missing out on good cheese, cold cuts (they have a carrefour) and fresh bread and veggies. The central market in Tbilisi is dirt cheap and top notch products. Walnuts (without shells) for 7 USD a kilo, first class. If you like wine, it is almost for free and good. Outside urban centers it should 50-100 USD less.

Entry: Georgia gives you a round stamps. 6 fit on one page. Turkey is a bit worse, their 2 stamps take half a page.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Back to Cambodia - I just saw this, and don't think it was posted yet ?

July 23, 2020
Cambodian government agrees in principle to waive $50,000 insurance policy and $3,000 deposit for incoming travelers

Prime Minister HE has approved in principle to eliminate the $3,000 deposit, and $50,000 insurance for investors, business people and experts.

However, the technical working group of the Ministry of Economy and Ministry of Health will be discussing further to do check and balance to determine whether the loosening of the measure will impact public health or not.

MEF’s spokesman Meas Sok Sensan, told Khmer Times that government will facilitate the procedure for the business-linked travelers including investor, director, general manager, technical staff and their family members

He said that the government will soon introduce a new facilitation procedure for business-linked travelers who are coming to Cambodia, according to spokesman of the Ministry of Economy and Finance.

He added that companies can sponsor or guarantee their owner, director or general manager, staff and family members. “The application to sponsor or guarantee will be done online. Then we will get approval letter with QR Code that company can send to the traveller (s) in advance of the trip,” he added.

Mr Soksensan added that MEF totally supports these new procedures.

According to the meeting minutes at the Ministry of Economy of Finance, the current procedure to facilitate for business-linked travelers is that the requirement of $3,000 deposit, and $50,000 insurance should be eliminated.

However, the 72 hours COVID-19 free health certificate remain in place. On arrival travellers after normal immigration procedure, travelers will be quickly guided to have COVID-19 test, and the test result takes about 8 hours.

It added that for the first night accommodation, travelers can stay in a pre-booked hotel (Ministry of Health) will advise list of assigned hotels that travelers can pre-book before travel to a Cambodia).

It added that a $160 fee related to swab test and meal and transport to hotel will be included in the hotel’s first night fee. If the test is negative, travelers can go to its own self-quarantine place for 14 days. If the positive, the travellers will be sent for treatment and company will pay the total bill.

The new procedure is expected date to be operational is next week. MEF is trying its best to make this happen as soon as possible.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50747552/c ... travelers/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic