Fake $100 bills from ATM. Urban myth or reality.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Fake $100 bills from ATM. Urban myth or reality.

Post by xandreu »

explorer wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:30 pm
fsdfdsdf wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:41 pm its beyond me why a country allows counterfit money. I guess its an important part of the local religion but most other countries dont allow it and its for many good reasons including reducing the chances of this sort of scenario happening
It's because most of the people getting scammed are foreigners. If more Cambodians were scammed with these, they would do something about it.
Whatever makes you say that? Whenever I go to an ABA ATM to withdraw cash, I'm rarely with other foreigners but often with many Khmers. Are you saying the ATM actively knows if the person using it is a local or a foreigner? Does it somehow change the order of the notes around in the drawer to ensure that Khmer customers don't get scammed and only foreign ones do?

I would imagine the banks are doing all they can to combat it. After all, considering that banking and the entire financial industry is based on trust, I can't think of anything worse than a bank gaining a reputation for dispensing fake money.

If you ask me, it is rogue employees who are either incredibly good at what they're doing in order for it to go undetected, or there's something about the system which makes it difficult to catch them. Not knowing much about the inner workings of a bank, I've no idea which it is.

I was just thinking the other day when I withdrew a few hundreds that I hadn't heard about this fake money issue for a while and I have stopped checking them as I withdraw them, but I'll certainly start again now.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:02 pm
explorer wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:30 pm
fsdfdsdf wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:41 pm its beyond me why a country allows counterfit money.
It's because most of the people getting scammed are foreigners. If more Cambodians were scammed with these, they would do something about it.
Whatever makes you say that?
Cambodians normally recognize these fake notes straight away, and normally do something about it.

Some foreigners are not familiar with these fake notes, and may not notice then until some time later. Then it is often too late to do something about it. So they get scammed.

If the system was honest and fair, these fake notes would not be allowed to be printed. In the past, they had funeral money which was clearly different from real money, so scamming was not possible.

The key issue is that fake money is allowed to be printed and circulated. I am not suggesting the banks like it any more than you or I.

The banks should lobby the people in power to get rid of the fake money.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Try and pass off these fake notes in the US and see how many years you spend behind bars.

I knew a girl in another country who was told by her employer to photocopy money with a color photocopier. Interpol got involved.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Splashback »

lucathenomad wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:37 pm Last night I withdrew 180$ from Sathapana branch ATM.
The 100$ bill was obviously fake :evil:
I didn't take receipt,never did, but put up the note close to camera.
Went this morning and it was replaced without much fuss!
I've seen so many people claim it, but I'm yet to see the proof. Not saying you're a liar but I guess I'll never believe it unless I see footage or it happens to me.

Did you just not take your receipt, or did you not request one before the cash came out? And did they make you sign anything?

Did you happen to take a photo of it when you were at the ATM? Would it be possible that it was just an old style note that you may not recognize and to save the hassle they just swapped you a new one and sent you on your way lol?

Or maybe that bank is less secure than ABA, where a lot of the disproven cases came from...
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:whip: Vs :dragonchase:
A few years ago now in Australia there was a campaign to bring home to Aust.a fugitive financial speculative conman by the name of , ,Christoffer Scase.,( the chase for Scase ).Things got serious and several maverick bounty hunters were in position to kidnap Scase from his Spanish luxury hideout. Our law firm was somewhat involved in the machinations but we promptly pulled out when we discovered that some of the reward money was fake U.S $$$..The person who was responsible for this ridiculous subplot had just returned from Cambodia.
P.S Buffa , Robbo,& Treppo ,I'm sure you are still dining out on this mental ,ridiculous, brain snap.
:dragonchase: Senior Counsel Duckworth on behalf of the late Kerry Packer . :crazy: :dragonchase: Q.C. in green silk.
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic