First Cambodian Homemade Helicopter Much Admired on Social Media

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: First Cambodian Homemade Helicopter Much Admired on Social Media

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alex wrote:This "helicopter" is a particularly sad example of underachieving. Or is this story meant as a joke?
It’s an admirable effort. This is a country without a strong tradition aeronautical aviation. Few private citizens fly airplanes, even fewer helicopters.

The guy is not rich, doesn’t look like an engineer. It’s an amazing feat that he built one.

It has a main rotor, and a tail rotor. Technically would take off, but as a previous poster mentioned, without the other parts, would be extremely difficult to control. And not safe to take a ride with him.

What this guy really deserves is a scholarship into a western university and become an engineer.

Maybe he will be the seed that spurs public interest in helicopters in the Kingdom of Wonder.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: First Cambodian Homemade Helicopter Much Admired on Social Media

Post by rozzieoz »

I hope he's a better pilot than my ex.

We were planning a trip to South Africa, to spend my Mom's last Christmas with her, she was going downhill fast and we knew it wouldn't be long.
We were going to Cape Town, the Drakensberg Mountains and some other scenic places. It was going to be a really great holiday and his first time in Africa.

He convinced me to buy a drone, to get amazing footage over the mountains etc.
With the drone, the case and shipping etc it was over three grand. The one piece that didn't arrive was an obstacle alert thingy which was supposed to prevent the drone from hitting stuff. Like trees. This bit didn't arrive but it was fine to operate it without this extra bit. Absolutely fine, no problem at all.

He didn't take it for a test flight until we were in South Africa and it was the day before we were going to the mountains.
We went to the field at a church, where there was one big tree at the side.

He took off, flew it around until the battery was almost flat. It was great, we were happy and then he decided to do one more loop around to drain the battery/

I was standing a few metres away from him and could see the branch sticking out of the tree.
I saw the drone heading for the branch. I called out - watch the tree!
He turned his head to snap at me to stop 'telling him what to do' when the drone flew straight into the branch, smashing the camera and sending it spinning lifelessly to the ground.
When the camera is broken the drone does not operate.

And do you know, I never even got to see the footage of my drone's one and only flight.
Fuck that guy.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic