Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

Post by willyhilly »

Yeah why should all those foreign slave labourers who do the jobs Poms won’t do get on the National Elf.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:40 pm This is a 9-month-old story.

Nevertheless, a medical fee is a medical fee in a for-profit hospital and is not elastic, except in Thailand, where the colour of your skin determines your bill. This must be why they're allowing medical tourists into the country first.
Exactly, and I would hazard a guess that a significant number of those allowed in under the medical tourism exemption will be from the Middle East, which is a bit of a bummer considering those countries seem to be the biggest concentration of Covid infection amongst returning overseas Thais. I met a friend for lunch today who had been for his regular check up at Bangkok Pattaya and he said the place was empty.
Huge plane loads of Arabs arriving for hospital care ought to scare Thai authorities and health care workers. It scares me unlike anything up to this point. This will not go well. But since when do Thai authorities anticipate outcomes from their policies, especially when it comes to any kind of revenue?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:02 am

Nevertheless, a medical fee is a medical fee in a for-profit hospital and is not elastic, except in Thailand, where the colour of your skin determines your bill. This must be why they're allowing medical tourists into the country first.
Exactly, and I would hazard a guess that a significant number of those allowed in under the medical tourism exemption will be from the Middle East, which is a bit of a bummer considering those countries seem to be the biggest concentration of Covid infection amongst returning overseas Thais. I met a friend for lunch today who had been for his regular check up at Bangkok Pattaya and he said the place was empty.
Huge plane loads of Arabs arriving for hospital care ought to scare Thai authorities and health care workers. It scares me unlike anything up to this point. This will not go well. But since when do Thai authorities anticipate outcomes from their policies, especially when it comes to any kind of revenue?
Most Arabs and in fact most anyone but Thai's, dont use the Public hospitals in Thailand.

Drop by Bumrungrad International Hospital any day and you would think ur in Dubai
Its a HUGE business for Thailand, so i expect once they start arriving for care, they will be finely checked.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

As far as I am aware fireign visitors to UK such as my wife are expected to pay 150% to 200% of the hospital bill if she requires treatment whilst on holiday to UK This also is stated to apply to me as a British citizen no longer registered in UK. When we visit UK or Europe we always take out medical travel insurance in case.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

jimpson wrote:As far as I am aware fireign visitors to UK such as my wife are expected to pay 150% to 200% of the hospital bill if she requires treatment whilst on holiday to UK This also is stated to apply to me as a British citizen no longer registered in UK. When we visit UK or Europe we always take out medical travel insurance in case.
Based on residence (as residents pay taxes), whereas this appears purely based on citizenship.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

You were correct. From a "travel bubble" story today, July 3:
The first batch of 1,700 medical tourists come from 17 countries, including Myanmar (478), Laos (477), Vietnam (39), China (65), the United Arab Emirates (223), Oman (187), Kuwait (137), Qatar (95) and Saudi Arabia (14).
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

pczz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm ...., Bumrungrad quoted THB 15000 for the same treatment, which was still half what it would hve cost to go private in the UK
if Bumrungrad is the same hospital I used to take the #15 bus to and from Kao San Road to get acupuncture, it is a private Chinese hospital.

In BKK I always go to Bangkok Christian Hospital.
In CM I go to Chiang Mai Ram or McCormack. The latter, while cheaper than the former, to my recollection, does not accept insurance.

Medical is now the only reason I would go to Thailand anymore.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bumrungrad soi 1 Sukumvit, has never been a Chinese hospital, the lobby looks like a 5 star hotel...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Yerg wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:02 am
pczz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:28 pm Imagine our beloved state healthcare systems trying that on with foreigners? The cries of racism would be deafening.

New policy to be considered; we should treat all foreign nationals precisely how their countries treat our citizens. (except Visa's, or we'll be overrun by foreigners!)
They already do. Non EU citizens coming to work in the uk have to pay £600 up front when they get their visa.
That’s a little misleading PC. And not, I’m sure, the crux of Doc’s point.

Yes, the legal visa-holders who abide by the process, pay the £600.

Let’s now discuss the legions of health tourists, illegals, asylum-seekers et al. I think these are who Doc was referring to.

His comment was to “treat all foreign nationals”, not those that come on a visa and pay their £600.

In much the same way that as a barang tourist in PP, I’d be expected to pay my own way.
What is misleading Yerg? International human rights legislation requires that countries provide medical servcie to migrants and immigrants once they get into the country. Not all countries are signed up to the conventions and some that are just disregard them, for example people dying in the Australian immigration centres offshore ebcause they were not allowed to travle to australia for treatment. The NHS has a pricing model which it is supposed to apply to tourists without insurance. Private healthcare has no such model. Bupa charges what Bupa charges, AXA chages what it charges so there is no fisex fees. medical costs are elastic. I go to St louis chartiy hospitalin Bangkok and it costs me around 1000 baht, bumrungrad charges 15,000 baht, the private english doctor cliic i went to charged 2000 baht. Also the UK NHS is residency based. When I arrived in March i was tols I needed to sign on for beneftis to prove I was staying in the Uk before i could be treated for anything but urgent illness. Eventually my old GP from 7 years ago agreed to take me on but it is up to the GP and how they interpret the guaidance
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:59 am Bumrungrad soi 1 Sukumvit, has never been a Chinese hospital, the lobby looks like a 5 star hotel...
I use this hospital. I can vouch its more an Arab hospital than anything else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic