Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by phuketrichard »

God'sGift wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:21 pm this is a disaster for the long term expats/semi-expats who have little or nothing to fall back on in their home countries - what exactly is an old fella supposed to do now?
Fall back and
Punt

Anyone over 65, living anywhere outside their own country, that does not have at least a few years of $$
fucked up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Some hopeful news...

July 17, 2020 / 1:48 PM / Updated 2 hours ago
Australian researchers invent 20-minute coronavirus blood test

2 Min Read

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Researchers in Australia have devised a test that can determine novel coronavirus infection in about 20 minutes using blood samples in what they say is a world-first breakthrough.

The researchers at Monash University said their test can determine if someone is currently infected and if they have been infected in the past.

“Short-term applications include rapid case identification and contact tracing to limit viral spread, while population screening to determine the extent of viral infection across communities is a longer-term need,” the researchers said in a paper published in the journal ACS Sensors on Friday.

The research team was led by BioPRIA and Monash University’s Chemical Engineering Department, including researchers from the ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent BioNano Science and Technology (CBNS).

Their test, using 25 microlitres of plasma from blood samples, looks for agglutination, or a clustering of red blood cells, that the coronavirus causes.

While the current swab test is used to identify people who are infected with the coronavirus, the agglutination assay - or analysis to detect the presence and amount of a substance in blood - can also determine if someone had been recently infected, after the infection is resolved, they said.

Hundreds of samples can be tested every hour, the researchers said, and they hope it can also be used to detect antibodies raised in response to vaccination to aid clinical trials.

A patent for the innovation has been filed and the researchers are seeking commercial and government support to scale up production.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN24I0OR
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

88-year-old Chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, Questioned for about Four Hours
17 July 2020
SEOUL, South Korea — South Korean prosecutors have questioned the leader of a secretive church sect over accusations that they hampered the government’s anti-virus response after thousands of COVID-19 infections were detected among its members in February and March.

Lee Man-hee, the 88-year-old chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, was questioned for about four hours Friday at a district prosecutors’ office in Suwon, south of capital Seoul, before being sent home after he complained about unspecified health problems, prosecution and church officials said.

Lee and other Shincheonji leaders have faced suspicions of hiding some of the church’s membership and under-reporting its worship activities to health authorities to avoid broader quarantines. Prosecutors last week arrested three senior members of the church over the allegations. Lee and Shincheonji have steadfastly denied the accusation, saying that the church has been properly cooperating with health authorities.

More than 5,200 of South Korea’s 13,672 COVID-19 cases have been linked to the church so far.

https://apnews.com/9b07fbb5e31b0f2d26bd04d885aa7ddb
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

This worldwide fight against covid reminds me of the China’s Four Pests Campaign, also known as Eliminate Sparrows Campaign.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign

The "Four Pests" campaign was introduced in 1958 by Mao Zedong, as a hygiene campaign aimed to eradicate the pests responsible for the transmission of pestilence and disease: ...the sparrows – which ate grain seed and fruit. According to some eyewitnesses, citizens would bang pots and pans so that sparrows would not have the chance to rest on tree branches and would fall dead from the sky.[3] Sparrow nests were also destroyed, eggs were broken, and chicks were killed. In addition to these tactics, citizens also resorted to simply shooting the birds down from the sky.[4] These mass attacks depleted the sparrow population, pushing it to near extinction.[4]

By April 1960, Chinese leaders changed their opinion due to the influence of ornithologist Tso-hsin Cheng[2] who pointed out that sparrows ate a large number of insects, as well as grains.[8][9] Rather than being increased, rice yields after the campaign were substantially decreased.[10][9] Mao ordered the end of the campaign against sparrows, replacing them with bed bugs, as the extermination of sparrows upset the ecological balance, and insects destroyed crops as a result of the absence of natural predators.

By this time, however, it was too late. With no sparrows to eat them, locust populations ballooned...

The world now is akin to China fighting sparrows, destroying economic, social balance.
What followed then is the Great Chinese Famine wiping millions of their population.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

LIVE UPDATES: 7 minutes
Coronavirus Live Updates: Officials Sound Alarm After U.S. Daily Record of 75,600 New Cases
The number of deaths in the country is increasing, and more than half the states have enacted mask orders.
Brazil surpasses 2 million total cases, and India has hit a million.

Right Now
Iran will enforce new restrictions in the capital Tehran on Saturday, reducing the government work force by a third, banning gatherings such as funerals, wedding and religious ceremonies and closing down gyms and pools, in response to a surge of cases.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/worl ... dates.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:34 pm Ok, ^^^ new/first evidence of identified variations.
But as far as i can see there is no evidence, or claims even, that Australia is experiencing a less virilent strain.
Never heard that anywhere, but please tell me if i am wrong.

Not saying that this may not be discovered as the virus is further understood - but i have not heard one peep from a medical person that Australia is experience lower death rates amongst those who are infected.
???
[media]https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... t-12030652[/media]
I cannot find the exact link to the geographical variations but they have been tracking the spread using the genese of thevirus to trace it back. The spainish have ordered the destruction of 100,000 minks. Apparently they have now proved humans infected the minks and the minks infexted more humans at a mink farm. It si one of newsfeeds today, bbc or sky I think so now we have human animal and animal human trnasmission
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hey PC ^^. There are miniscule variations in the virus that happen every time it replicates.
Genomic detection is so good now they can differentuate and track with that on an individual case level.
They are talking on an extremely micro vevel of "strain".

But effectively, i beleive it is sstill seen by the genticists as only a single, relatively very stable, strain which has shown no significant variations over time or place in its behavior or effects.

I'm pretty sure about that. And that the info is very up to date.
(but willing to be proved wrong)
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

pczz wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:51 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:34 pm Ok, ^^^ new/first evidence of identified variations.
But as far as i can see there is no evidence, or claims even, that Australia is experiencing a less virilent strain.
Never heard that anywhere, but please tell me if i am wrong.

Not saying that this may not be discovered as the virus is further understood - but i have not heard one peep from a medical person that Australia is experience lower death rates amongst those who are infected.
???
[media]https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... t-12030652[/media]
I cannot find the exact link to the geographical variations but they have been tracking the spread using the genese of thevirus to trace it back. The spainish have ordered the destruction of 100,000 minks. Apparently they have now proved humans infected the minks and the minks infexted more humans at a mink farm. It si one of newsfeeds today, bbc or sky I think so now we have human animal and animal human trnasmission
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-outbreak

Article in the guardian about the minks
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Lol.
I just read your link. PC, you may be right.
Thanks, 'sounds interesting, i am now scurrying to find more on this.

chuckle.
But istill contend that the original statement i was commenting on..
ie, Oz has a less deadly strain
...is incorrect.
That certainly has never been claimed by any expert that i have ever heard.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

one of my favorite shows and actors on the quarantine;

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic