Owner of Good Times Bar in Phnom Penh Offers $50 to Anyone Who Collects Chris Freeman's Outstanding Bar Tab

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Owner of Good Times Bar in Phnom Penh Offers $50 to Anyone Who Collects Chris Freeman's Outstanding Bar Tab

Post by angkorjohn2 »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 pm The TAB idea is daft and for good reasons not implemented in many Countries.
Any place that permits long tabs to run like this is taking stupid risks.
Their hope is that the punter will spend more freely and pay up later. But this is ideal thinking and tourists doing a runner or being overcharged is common knowledge. They should know better!
As a patron of bars I like the idea that you can just sit and casually while away an evening with a couple of good friends and then tally up the check and split it at the end. I went to a bar in TTP where the guy kept asking me to pay (i was alone waiting for a buddy) I said here take this $5 and just keep them pouring "oh would you like a tab?" :beer3:

There have been occasions I could count on one hand over the years (particularly before ABA and lots of ATMS were about) where I was about to leave having reached the end of what I had brought with me only to be persuaded by the owner (who was a good friend) to stay and I was good for it. I always went by the next day and paid up. These days most folks have ABA or card machines so you can transfer it etc if you have run out of what you took with you (I still like to think of that as an indicator I should go home!), I rarely drink alone so would borrow it temporarily off a friend if I needed to e.g. nearest ATM out of action. Allowing anyone to rack up a debt past 1-2 days is irresponsible.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Owner of Good Times Bar in Phnom Penh Offers $50 to Anyone Who Collects Chris Freeman's Outstanding Bar Tab

Post by GMJS-CEO »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:37 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:11 pm The accusation is the bartender gave very high credit to a shady mate. He/she facilitated the theft.
As I just outlined - she has displayed his bills in the OP photos - it started in March thru May. Is it suggested she had no knowledge of this? that she didn't see these bills racking up? that she didn't check her daily income and expenditure for three months? that the barman was recording all of this yet hiding it from his boss before the big reveal? I've heard some strange tales in my time from bar owner friends but that would be a first.

Lets assume for fantasy's sake that the sacked bartender gave him a big line of credit in March, Chloe saw it, but not until April and rebuked the bartender and said no more. the next week she sees he has continued to let Chris drink their and extend his credit (presuming that not once when Chris drank there was she there to see it or question it), she gives him a final warning yet still, for unknown reasons and ones that in no obvious way benefit the bartender, he kept doing it, she didn't keep on checking up on a daily basis and was oblivious that Chris was still drinking there on extended credit until May. Yep sure, I believe that, it was all a dastardly plan by this barman :facepalm:
:please:

You are correct, reading again it sounds completely made up about the bartender. In the OP the messages pursuing payment are from the bar owner. Hey Chris! +12.5! And 2 days later - Hey Chris! +13!

So right there the owner knew about it and it was still happening. What exactly did the bartender do wrong?

I also didn't notice before, he owed over $800 at one point and owes half of that now.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

He can simply say sorry I don't know you and don't owe you anything. If ever I patronise your bar, I fully paid everything so what can the owner do?
Any contract or iou to prove?
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:27 pm
angkorjohn2 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:37 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:11 pm The accusation is the bartender gave very high credit to a shady mate. He/she facilitated the theft.
As I just outlined - she has displayed his bills in the OP photos - it started in March thru May. Is it suggested she had no knowledge of this? that she didn't see these bills racking up? that she didn't check her daily income and expenditure for three months? that the barman was recording all of this yet hiding it from his boss before the big reveal? I've heard some strange tales in my time from bar owner friends but that would be a first.

Lets assume for fantasy's sake that the sacked bartender gave him a big line of credit in March, Chloe saw it, but not until April and rebuked the bartender and said no more. the next week she sees he has continued to let Chris drink their and extend his credit (presuming that not once when Chris drank there was she there to see it or question it), she gives him a final warning yet still, for unknown reasons and ones that in no obvious way benefit the bartender, he kept doing it, she didn't keep on checking up on a daily basis and was oblivious that Chris was still drinking there on extended credit until May. Yep sure, I believe that, it was all a dastardly plan by this barman :facepalm:
:please:

You are correct, reading again it sounds completely made up about the bartender. In the OP the messages pursuing payment are from the bar owner. Hey Chris! +12.5! And 2 days later - Hey Chris! +13!

So right there the owner knew about it and it was still happening. What exactly did the bartender do wrong?

I also didn't notice before, he owed over $800 at one point and owes half of that now.

exactly, and then her friend suggests it was the barmans fault and I paraphrase "yes that's why we sacked him of course it was him.....it was nothing to do with my inability to run my business"

and how anyone racks up $800 unpaid is beyond me, unless of course you are in Jah Steu's establishments and ringing the bell all night.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

ssian wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:38 pm He can simply say sorry I don't know you and don't owe you anything. If ever I patronise your bar, I fully paid everything so what can the owner do?
Any contract or iou to prove?
nope quite correct, he was bad for taking advantage of the goodwill but he could just deny it, how many times do we see accusations of Khmer run bars "padding bills" that the person didn't owe (but probably did). The police don't get involved, you might get a stilleto to the head or some desperate guy assault you for the $50 bounty but I'd say you were good.

I always remember one guy at a bar I wont name went to pay his $12 bill with $100 probably knowing they wouldn't have the change, he said he would go to change it, took maybe 5 days before he came back and was asked for the money straight away which he paid. maybe 2 weeks later the guy passed away, only 52 years old, sad really. Turned out he had about 8 $100+ outstanding bills in various establishments, they weren't going to see that again :beer2:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

jah steu wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:36 am
simon43 wrote:It is totally beyond my understanding why anyone running a bar or restaurant allows any customer to run up a tab. Weird way of running a business!
Unless you force every single customer to pay for each single drink before he drinks it, there will be some temporary credit involved.
Sometimes this can build up very quickly. In our bars some customers rack up a bills of $200-300 in a few hours of drinking with the girls. One Japanese guy spent $1,800 recently in a long evening of drinking Chivas 18-years and buying hundreds of ladydrinks.
It’s not feasible to demand cash from them for every single drink they order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to mention its far better to wait till they are too drunk toargue. I have heard that some unscrupulous bar owners even add on drinks the customer never ordered. Shocking if true
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Who doesn't have $2 for 4 beers and needs to run up a tab? I wouldn't trust a bar man not to add a few to the tab.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

What a quaint idea, not paying for drinks. Terrible business practice by the owner. Not everyone carries cash but don’t you have the Square App in Cambodia. A card reader only costs $50 and you pay with a debit or credit card. It’s simple.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

willyhilly wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:51 am What a quaint idea, not paying for drinks. Terrible business practice by the owner. Not everyone carries cash but don’t you have the Square App in Cambodia. A card reader only costs $50 and you pay with a debit or credit card. It’s simple.
good times is also literally opposite an ATM machine also round the corner from another on 172 and maybe 30 metres from one by the kiwi mart on 154
RandyN
BANNED

Post by RandyN »

Now the owner of Good Times Bar is calling out her barman/ex-boyfriend who let Freeman run up the tab.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic