UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by God'sGift »

The lockdown has clearly shown all freedom loving Westerners the peril of allowing mass State control. Hence, ditching Huawei makes sense.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Yerg wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:50 pm
pczz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:11 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:11 pm China threatens retaliation against UK for Hong Kong offer

Now that the UK has made this offer of rights of residency to up to 3 million Hong Kong citizens, we are well and truly off and running into a serious and long term freezing of relations with China. The threats coming out of Beijing are blunt and very sinister.

The UK's proposed involvement with Huawei for the 5G has got to be cancelled, is in untenable now. This will be seen as a major escalation of this dispute. They should be removed from the entire telecom network.

Australian also announced they too were working on a scheme to offer "safe haven". There will be a number of countries who will be willing to offer fast track pathways to rights of residence and the cherry picking of the best and the brightest could leave Hong King hollowed out. I just can't see China allowing them to just pack up and fly out.

"Beijing says Britain will ‘bear all consequences’ of helping fleeing Hongkongers "

Earlier on Thursday, China’s ambassador to the UK, Liu Xiaoming, also said any move to grant residency to BNO holders would be a violation of agreements between the two countries.
[They are seriously taking the piss with this claim.]

"China has said it will take countermeasures against the UK should it grant residency to Hongkongers fleeing a harsh new national security law, promising that the UK would “bear all consequences”.

On Thursday, senior Chinese officials said the UK had no right to give residency to Hongkongers in response to Beijing forcing a sweeping anti-sedition law on the territory.
“China strongly condemns this and reserves the right to take further measures. The British side will bear all the consequences,” foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said at a regular press briefing in Beijing.

Zhao’s comments came after the UK prime minister, Boris Johnson, said he would honour a promise to offer nearly 3 million residents of the former British colony, those with British national overseas status (BNO), the right to settle in the UK."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... minic-raab
This will be another Borid Johnson U turn. he wanted brexit to take back control of immigration and has been banging on aboutthe new points based immigration system to keep the bloody foreigners out. The commonwealth nations like India dn some Africa states will go mental at being shoved down the list. Poor old priti patel ahs alredy sold visas to all her uncles and aunties for when we stop the scourge of immigration from europe. Exactl why we would want 3.5 million poor chinese trouble makers is beyond me. the rich ones left already, or can leave anytime to far more attractive places than the uk
PC you’ve been away a long time. And you’ve been sorely missed.

Please don’t mistake Brexit and the situation with HK as remotely similar. To accuse Priti Patel of selling visas to her uncles and aunties belies your true feelings about Gujarati people, and perhaps Indians in general.

The HK people of British Origin were always protected as part of the handover to China. That was never something that was up for negotiation. Simply because the fear was exactly what is happening now. Foreseen some 20+ years ago.

I, for one, welcome an influx of smart, bright, eager, hard-working Hong Kongers. Might make the work shy fops ensconced in the UK raise their game. Unlikely. But it might.
I have no feelings about people of gujerati origin one way or another, and you need to be careful before accusing people of being racist. You do not know my ethnic origins. Priti Patel is a nasty piece of work who has already paid her husband for nothing out of the public purse and been invvolved in dodgy dealings with the israelis. Boris Johnson himslef publicly promised the indian restaurant association that when he stopped eurpoeans coming then he would be able to let them bring more chefs over, then he u teurned as he does and they publicly complained. Despitew having too few nurses it has recently been announced that Euiropean nursing staff are going home and magicly we have aquired 9000 more nurses, mainly from india and the Philippines. Read the newspapers. The fact is European staff are being replaced by commonwealth staff. You may have your own opinion as to whether that is good or bad, but i fear it will lead to the rise of a new enoch powell, prbably in the form of Tommy Robinson.
The Hong Kong people are NOT of British Origin. If they were they would have been entitled to british passports. They are chinese who were subjects of the british Colonial empire, in a land we rented from the chinese and they abandoned by us when we handed HK back. They had the chance then to apply, many did not. If this a humanitarian act then all HK residents would have been invited. As for them being bright, prove it. Just because their family has a vague historical dright to come to the UK does not make them bright. The clever ones and the rich ones have already got passpsorts in USA, Australia and even the Uk. It now costs 2 million pounds to buy an English passport. I look forward to 2 million chinese trouble makers from hongkong protesting on the streets for yellow lives matters. We don't need to encourage the wealthy and the bright, what we need are to encourage the stupid to pick vegetables which british peopleare too lazy to do
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

No Brit is gonna pick fruit whilst the furlough is in play
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

God'sGift wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:06 pm No Brit is gonna pick fruit whilst the furlough is in play
But when it stops, and it will, and then the redundancies kick in, a lot of people will have 2 choices: £90 a week on the dole or £200 a week picking fruit and veg. Most will not be interested but enough will and so the work will get done.

I think it is going to get much worse by the winter.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

sure, but by that time there won't be much fruit to pick, ie. summer will be over
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I'm sorry, but if you need a 46 second video from the BBC to tell you how to put on a face mask, maybe it is time for a cull

Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:26 pm I'm sorry, but if you need a 46 second video from the BBC to tell you how to put on a face mask, maybe it is time for a cull
indeed
high time those patronizing meeja lovies at aunty were given the boot

monstra mihi bona!
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:10 pm
God'sGift wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:06 pm No Brit is gonna pick fruit whilst the furlough is in play
But when it stops, and it will, and then the redundancies kick in, a lot of people will have 2 choices: £90 a week on the dole or £200 a week picking fruit and veg. Most will not be interested but enough will and so the work will get done.

I think it is going to get much worse by the winter.
If the ex airline pilots and other skilled workers refuse to pick fruit their dole would be sanctioned :shock:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Let the HK troublemakers in. These happen to be highly educated, highly motivated citizens who didn’t have the money to buy citizenship elsewhere.

I bet they would probably invent machines to do all the picking, so no workers wouldn’t need to toil needlessly in the fields.

Just stirring the pot.

Please continue with this interesting thread.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:22 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:26 pm I'm sorry, but if you need a 46 second video from the BBC to tell you how to put on a face mask, maybe it is time for a cull
indeed
high time those patronizing meeja lovies at aunty were given the boot
Aunty? You must be a Brit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic