Selling to Cambodians

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Selling to Cambodians

Post by numacsys »

I once returned from Europe with fruits, cakes ("Lebkuchen") and an assortment of chocolates as gifts. Offered some to my landlord and his wife and apart from the fruits, I was constantly told "ort che nham" which seems to translate to "don't know how to eat that". Really disconcerting and, I would also say, rude.

Went to Japan with them (and their kids). Food was almost always criticized or commented with ប្រៃ (too salty) or too sweet or lacking something. Always made me feel like anything from outside Cambodia wasn't good enough or that Cambodian food is THE best on this planet.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:52 am
samrong01 wrote:Selling in Psar Chas to foreign tourists is a real pain. They walk around taking pictures and if they buy something (rarely) they will haggle over every small thing. I once had a European tourist who wanted a bag which was $1.50. She haggled for ages to buy for $1 saying that she only had dollars and did not want to take riel in change. In the end I said that if she did not want riel in change then the price was $2. She did not buy the bag.

Even in buying a car in the West, it’s difficult to know the real price. So many options are added into the car to inflate the book price. Then there’s trade in value for the old car, and financing deal.
??
there so many websites in the states its so easy buying a car, (new or used) a 6 year old could do it and get a great deal
https://www.kbb.com/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

samrong01 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:10 pm Having had some experience of selling products in Psar Chas I can say there is some truth in what you say. Some Khmers are reluctant to buy from foreigners. There can be many factors involved such as shyness about their English, a belief that a foreigner might cheat them, a feeling of intimidation when the foreigner is much larger than them. Even so I found it was mostly older people who were reluctant to buy - young people seemed perfectly confident to buy from me. I think also that this phenomenon is not unique to Cambodia but is fairly common in many parts of the world.

There is also the fact that many foreign businesses are designed to sell to foreigners and located in areas where mostly foreigners go. For example last month I went to Koh Rong and ALL the staff in the hotel/restaurant where I stayed were foreigners - mostly Russian. There were some Khmer guests who did not seem to have a problem with them. Although the Russians looked like pretty tough guys they were very friendly.

Selling in Psar Chas to foreign tourists is a real pain. They walk around taking pictures and if they buy something (rarely) they will haggle over every small thing. I once had a European tourist who wanted a bag which was $1.50. She haggled for ages to buy for $1 saying that she only had dollars and did not want to take riel in change. In the end I said that if she did not want riel in change then the price was $2. She did not buy the bag.
Should have told her to go sit on a bowling pin.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Well, if the shop is opened by Caucasian vs Asian Chinese, i do feel that there's some biases that locals would visit Caucasian retail shop vs Asian Chinese shop if no Khmer around.
The chances of no khmer is very slim though since unless you are referring to Chinese Restaurant, and yes i don't see local khmer trying out Chinese food... Haha
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

numacsys wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 am I once returned from Europe with fruits, cakes ("Lebkuchen") and an assortment of chocolates as gifts. Offered some to my landlord and his wife and apart from the fruits, I was constantly told "ort che nham" which seems to translate to "don't know how to eat that". Really disconcerting and, I would also say, rude.

Went to Japan with them (and their kids). Food was almost always criticized or commented with ប្រៃ (too salty) or too sweet or lacking something. Always made me feel like anything from outside Cambodia wasn't good enough or that Cambodian food is THE best on this planet.
This is a country where the rice from a different province than that of your home village will never taste as good.
Don't be offended when people turn up their noses at your offerings. A lot of Cambodians just have very restricted tastes in food.
But I know how you feel. IME of bringing food from overseas as gifts for Cambodians, factory-made chocolate chip biscuits were a hit, whereas good chocolate was not. Cheese was not a hit either :plus1: but any kind of dried sausage or ham was enjoyed.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:31 am
numacsys wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 am I once returned from Europe with fruits, cakes ("Lebkuchen") and an assortment of chocolates as gifts. Offered some to my landlord and his wife and apart from the fruits, I was constantly told "ort che nham" which seems to translate to "don't know how to eat that". Really disconcerting and, I would also say, rude.

This is a country where the rice from a different province than that of your home village will never taste as good.
Don't be offended when people turn up their noses at your offerings. A lot of Cambodians just have very restricted tastes in food.
But I know how you feel. IME of bringing food from overseas as gifts for Cambodians, factory-made chocolate chip biscuits were a hit, whereas good chocolate was not. Cheese was not a hit either :plus1: but any kind of dried sausage or ham was enjoyed.
Haha i feel you... Actually fruits really depends on what you buy from Europe... If you bought fruits like cherries or apricots, they would greatly appreciate them whereas for the common fruits which you could find them here; then not so. As for their tastebuds, it's the same as our tastebuds tasting their food. When i first came here, i really don't enjoy eating food here since i'm so used to fast food, spicy and oily kind of fatty food. So it took me sometime to accept their daily food. I'm Asian so i know the difference in their cuisine.

Traveling aboard is headache.... Haha because you definitely need to research Khmer(Very unlikely), Vietnamese (1st priority) or Chinese restaurants...
Imagine aboard, spending so much money, ordered on super awesome steak which made a huge hole in the pocket and the result was, can we have Asian food next meal please? Hahaa :plus1:
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by numacsys »

I was silently praying that staff of that well-reviewed restaurant in Sapporo would be a tad understanding and forgiving when they cleared the table with some half eaten King crabs! But otherwise they loved the snow and were wide eyed :shock: when they woke up one morning to ភ្លៀងទឹកកក ("ice rain")
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I don't get it. Can the OP elaborate a bit more? I know tons of western owned businesses that cater to either a large ratio of locals it even almost exclusively to them. If you're alone in a market it something then I could see that being harder, but it's not like "they're after you". They want a lot of foreign goods/services. What are you selling exactly?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic