Englishman MARK SMITH (Golden Bridge International School Vice Principal) Arrested in Cambodia for Child Sex Crimes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Re: Englishman MARK SMITH (Golden Bridge International School Vice Principal) Arrested in Cambodia for Child Sex Crimes

Post by Sir Stephen »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:17 am I agree that, as of now, he's only been charged with the crime.

That said, I think his PUBLIC Facebook page is very inappropriate for being the vice principal of an international school with children.

Call me crazy, but I don't think he should have public pictures on his social media where he links the school to him filled with images of his daughter topless. Again, maybe not a crime, but I would think a vice principal, especially in Cambodia, would think better of having pictures of his half-naked daughter for the public to see.

These are some screenshots of his public social media page, and while I don't think any of it is criminal, I would think Golden Bridge International School wouldn't want this for their vice principal:

And definitely feuding with his Cambodian ex-wife, so who knows what's up with these charges against him, but either way, he has been charged, which is what has been reported:

Maybe he is innocent of sex crime but how does he explain his creepy posts above on Facebook? That alone would raise parent's suspicions if he vice principal at school?
Doodoo2010
Tourist
Australia

Re: Englishman MARK SMITH (Golden Bridge International School Vice Principal) Arrested in Cambodia for Child Sex Crimes

Post by Doodoo2010 »

You write like a Khmer Sir Stephen, strange you should pull all this up the day Aple and Viriya are getting slated on Facebook hmmm
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I actually dont see the issue with these posts/pictures, all are good natured and humorous, nothing that I haven't seen countless parents posting (both male and female) on facebook, so I find it quite odd it is being used to attack Mark or used as some sort of evidence of his supposed guilt. Had it been filled with pictures of children who were not his own with inappropriate comments then maybe it would be newsworthy. I have also seen countless teachers posting pictures of the children they teach on facebook which I find completely unprofessional and inappropriate, this doesn't seem to be the case here.

That's the problem with the online world and taking pictures out of context to twist a narrative and find guilt where there is none, or certainly not related to these specific arguments.

The one picture I would think was offensive to people (if indeed the government were) involved in the case would have been the army outfit.

And an image of Mark Smith in a Cambodian military uniform:

sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by sousadeyy »

Sirstephen - those photos add nothing. Im sure we could troll most peoples social media to find things that arent PC. It in no ways makes a man guilty of sex crimes or suggests that he committed them.

Nice to see Viraya MC getting slated on FB - least she deserves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic