Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by phuketrichard »

i agree for many its a real pain in the ass to get back here and ONLY those, from necessity, would attempt it UNTIL things lighten up. I look for Oct, ( Burma has already said no tourist visas will be issued till then)

I for one, ( being in one of the areas that will admit foreign tourist under the proposed "travel bubbles" ) don't look forward to this trail of letting farangs in

FYI:
Yes it might hurt thailand short term but...thailand has proven over the years it is a survivor an always comes out good.

What is worse than the Virus, is the growing unease / dissatisfaction with the current K and he will be the downfall for the country
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

One of my best friends died unexpectedly a couple of months ago. It continues to be awful for his daughter who obviously couldn't get out to attend the funeral and sees little prospect of getting in to sort out his personal stuff and estate here which is quite considerable. At the moment it's still in legal process but it still myst be hard to deal with from afar. What a total nightmare scenario. She's in contact with the Thai Embassy in her home country and you'd think there could be some sort of compassionate angle to allow her in but not so far.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

These situations will give food for thought for everyone who was looking to invest abroad, as now they can see that they can be locked away from their property at someone’s whim for indefinite time for no fault of their own. Unprecedented occurence in modern history. With this in mind, property market will not recover quickly even if all lockdowns and restrictions were canceled tomorrow.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

You make a good argument, most people still do not realize the problem. Once the precedent of lockdown is set, all future decisions about investment are riskier, Ending the travel restrictions will not matter, the chance of another round of restrictions is a total game changer. Now a government can ruin you and you get no compensation.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:02 pm One of my best friends died unexpectedly a couple of months ago. It continues to be awful for his daughter who obviously couldn't get out to attend the funeral and sees little prospect of getting in to sort out his personal stuff and estate here which is quite considerable. At the moment it's still in legal process but it still myst be hard to deal with from afar. What a total nightmare scenario. She's in contact with the Thai Embassy in her home country and you'd think there could be some sort of compassionate angle to allow her in but not so far.
A very sad story. Yet they would still probably force her to do a 14-day quarantine, which would just add to her misery. I feel sorry for your friend's daughter indeed.

Regarding the Canadian who jumped all the hoops:

I left out another story of stonewalling by Thai authorities that, without simply outright banning the planned marriage of an English friend and his Thai wife who have been together six years, laid on suspicious requirements and bounced them from office to office until the British clearance papers he had had expired. The Thai authorities were simply having none of it.

OK, I came to a conclusion a couple of years ago as immigration authorities ramped up more and more paperwork, forbid you from spending most of your Thailand retirement funds, imposed worthless health care policies and onerous, pointless mandatory reporting. On and on. One could surmise that they (and their Chinese overlords) simply don't want any of us dirty, troublesome westerners around.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Thailand Revises Quarantine Exemptions After Lax Enforcement

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Thailand is temporarily halting exemptions from a 14-day quarantine given to some groups of foreigners, following two separate incidents of possible Covid-19 exposure to the community.
ADVERTISING

Contact tracing teams are tracking steps of an Egyptian air force member and a daughter of a Sudanese diplomat; both tested positive for the virus. They entered Thailand but were exempted from a mandatory quarantine at state facilities. The Egyptian was on a short visit and has since left the country, while the nine-year-old girl is still in Thailand.

Thailand has reported 3,227 coronavirus cases, including 58 fatalities. Over the past 50 days, no new cases from local transmission have been detected, but the recent incidents have put health authorities and the public on alert.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... 6cNhxrOWTM
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Oh my 2 more cases and 58 dead. Since 80% of those are elderly that makes about 10 dead under 60. With a population of 70 million. One can only shrug at the gullibility of the public.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Amazing how if you're rich,a business man or someone important you don't need to do 14days quarantine because everyone knows these people don't get viruses, covid only goes on common people
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Dunderhead wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:21 pm Oh my 2 more cases and 58 dead. Since 80% of those are elderly that makes about 10 dead under 60. With a population of 70 million. One can only shrug at the gullibility of the public.
as vs America with 132,000 dead out of a population of 328 million +

Hmm guess which country did something right??

Thailand might be heavy handed but, i feel safer here than back in the states or in Europe :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Dunderhead wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:21 pm Oh my 2 more cases and 58 dead. Since 80% of those are elderly that makes about 10 dead under 60. With a population of 70 million. One can only shrug at the gullibility of the public.
And then you look at their road deaths and you really think wtf?!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic