Taking a moto across borders

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Taking a moto across borders

Post by Roadie »

I don't hear of anyone riding their Khmai registered moto across any borders out of Cambodia so I assume that it must be a no go. Please correct if thats not right. I'd love to hear its not right. But people riding european registered motorbikes across through China and down through SEAsia seem to be able to. I don't understand! Rules for some but not others or do they book these things a long way in advance that they are passing through. I would love to be able to ride anywhere in SEAsia. Any thoughts?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Taking a moto across borders

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Roadie wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:49 pm I don't hear of anyone riding their Khmai registered moto across any borders out of Cambodia so I assume that it must be a no go. Please correct if thats not right. I'd love to hear its not right. But people riding european registered motorbikes across through China and down through SEAsia seem to be able to. I don't understand! Rules for some but not others or do they book these things a long way in advance that they are passing through. I would love to be able to ride anywhere in SEAsia. Any thoughts?
As far as I'm aware, forigeners can't cross the land borders right now. Happy to hear otherwise.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

currently land borders closed.
Once they open you can take ur Cambodian bike/car into Thailand and Laos if its in ur name, as before, ( unless they change the rules)
get insurance at the border.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Vietnam too.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:50 am Vietnam too.
never tried it but I heard that whilst theoretically possible to take a car in to Vietnam the practical reality is quite difficult and most people end up changing vehicles at the border.

At Poipet I also didn't see much vehicle traffic crossing (in fact I didn't see any) pre covid
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Sorry, not sure about cars, should have specified motorbikes. Not sure how deep/long you can go for, but I've taken mine in no issues before.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

Encouraging news that I can take a bike across borders (I forgot to mention I'm thinking in the long term not now - hardly any point in sending my bike across when I can't cross). I wonder if Malaysia and Myanmar also allow crossing with a moto?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Roadie wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:30 pm Encouraging news that I can take a bike across borders (I forgot to mention I'm thinking in the long term not now - hardly any point in sending my bike across when I can't cross). I wonder if Malaysia and Myanmar also allow crossing with a moto?
Malaysia; bike in ur name and letter from ur motor vehicle dept stating its ur bike, buy insurance at the border and have english language stickers of ur bike license plate on the front

Burma; bike in ur name and MUST pay for guide & permits in advance, can be very costly if traveling alone.
Better to rent a bike in Mandalay from zach at http://www.mandalaymotorbike.com/ and travel around, what i have done a few times

Note;I have also rented a bike in bali an did a 2 week trip around the island
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:46 pm
Roadie wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:30 pm Encouraging news that I can take a bike across borders (I forgot to mention I'm thinking in the long term not now - hardly any point in sending my bike across when I can't cross). I wonder if Malaysia and Myanmar also allow crossing with a moto?
Malaysia; bike in ur name and letter from ur motor vehicle dept stating its ur bike, buy insurance at the border and have english language stickers of ur bike license plate on the front

Burma; bike in ur name and MUST pay for guide & permits in advance, can be very costly if traveling alone.
Better to rent a bike in Mandalay from zach at http://www.mandalaymotorbike.com/ and travel around, what i have done a few times

Note;I have also rented a bike in bali an did a 2 week trip around the island
Myanmar is a bit cheaper than previously, but the guide makes it a bit pricier.

Still, easy gateway to Nepal and India as otherwise to get to the west you would have to go via China overland and that would be nearly 5000USD, for reg, guide etc, or freight to Japan from Vietnam and from there to Russia and west all the way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic