Children wearing marijuana shirts

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kratom123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Children wearing marijuana shirts

Post by Kratom123 »

jer31244 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:19 am So what's the deal with all these kids wearing these black T-shirts with marijuana leaves on them? I see them all over Battambang and my friend's kid posted school pictures and it looked like her entire class was wearing them at school. Anybody else notice this humorous trend?
Ive seen old grannies wearing them
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:45 am When missus explains to the locals what it is and what it means, they all get embarrassed and stop wearing it.
About 6 months or so back I told my son's friend what it was and he dumped the shirt in my house so I later used it as a rag. I sometimes see African dudes wearing shirts and hats with leaves on them and it always strikes me as being dumb as hell, like having a "Please Arrest Me." badge.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

I see a topic that interested me when these shirts were going around. Someone made a fortune off of them.

I started asking in Khmer if they smoked weed. Out of all the people I talked to wearing it, only 1 person knew it was pot. They all just thought it was cool looking.
Still here, in country...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

As far as I can figure there isn't much pot smoking going on with the locals. You see pictures of youths and criminals all the time with meth smoking apparel but I can't recall a single one where they had marijuana or cigarette papers or bongs. One time a friend started smoking a joint when I was with one relative I had known well for many years. The subject had never come up before but he said he used to smoke it back in Lon Nol days when he was a young teenager, and never since. He described the bamboo bongs they used like below. The big question is: Did Pol Pot stop pot? 8-)

Just cigarettes but still a great image.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:28 pm The big question is: Did Pol Pot stop pot? 8-)
I always assumed he was like pope
who, contrary to majority publc opinion, does not smoke dope.
Bad acid i reckon.

ps, agree with what you said, and fab photos, jb.
Wolf359
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Wolf359 »

I asked around a bit about this. Most aren't aware that it has anything to do with drugs. My MIL has a bucket hat with pot leaves all over it. She thought it was just a pretty flower. Same answer from the 9 year old niece running around in one of the previously mentioned black tshirts. Mom still wears the hat, niece got rid of the shirt.
Last edited by Wolf359 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Wolf359 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 pm I asked around a bit about this. Most aren't aware that it has anything to do with drugs. My MIL has a bucket hat with pot leaves all over it. She thought it was just a pretty flower. Same answer from the 9 year old niece running around in one of the potentially mentioned black tshirts. Mom still wears the hat, niece got rid of the shirt.
I don't say anything. I think it's cute. :OD:

I have more issues with kids or women wearing T-shirts with inappropriate sexual messages in English that they don't get the meaning of, like:
Wolf359
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Wolf359 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:10 pm
Wolf359 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 pm I asked around a bit about this. Most aren't aware that it has anything to do with drugs. My MIL has a bucket hat with pot leaves all over it. She thought it was just a pretty flower. Same answer from the 9 year old niece running around in one of the potentially mentioned black tshirts. Mom still wears the hat, niece got rid of the shirt.
I don't say anything. I think it's cute. :OD:

I have more issues with kids or women wearing T-shirts with inappropriate sexual messages in English that they don't get the meaning of, like:
I don't mind either :lol:

I think the misspelled English word salad shirts are great. It's like a white guy who gets a tattoo in Chinese that he thinks means bravery and strength but it really means of two men who love each other you are the one who plays the woman.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:28 pm As far as I can figure there isn't much pot smoking going on with the locals. You see pictures of youths and criminals all the time with meth smoking apparel but I can't recall a single one where they had marijuana or cigarette papers or bongs. One time a friend started smoking a joint when I was with one relative I had known well for many years. The subject had never come up before but he said he used to smoke it back in Lon Nol days when he was a young teenager, and never since. He described the bamboo bongs they used like below. The big question is: Did Pol Pot stop pot? 8-)

Just cigarettes but still a great image.
I'm seeing far more young Khmer into "420" in the past few years than say 9 years back.

But they aren't smoking pizza shop shit
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase: M.W.
PolPot was a fanatical puritan ( like several other regular posters on this forum ) who was similar to the hypercritical Nancy Regan ...,just say no. Wowsers /prohibitionists try to ram down their narrow ,intolerant beliefs on others and woe betide anyone that is a cosmopolitan ,free thinking individual who does not obey their narrow ideology.
Even the Christian bible encourages people to " enjoy a little wine ,now and then." Live & let others live ,each to their own . :dragonchase: M.W
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic