[Confirmed] PP Post-Work Permits to be enforced by MOI & MOL

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Government has Meeting About Foreigners and Work Permits

Post by Username Taken »

Might have to open a bar and sell Lady drinks.

:popcorn:
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

Username Taken wrote:Might have to open a bar and sell Lady drinks.

:popcorn:
It's the only way!
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

So it will mean a little bit more each year, no doubt less than the taxes I pay on fuel in a month in the Uk. My council tax for band D property London is over £ 1000 a year......I could go on....
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: [Confirmed] PP Post-Work Permits to be enforced by MOI &

Post by OrangeDragon »

Update on this, vis FaceBook group for expats living in Sihanoukville:
12 immigration police on Otres this morning...$130 per person fine. They took our passports hostage til we coughed up. How is this legal?
They said they were checking our visas and business license, so i handed it over but they refused to return them until i paid. We have an "official" reciept from the ministry of interior for the fines. No explination of what its for. The head thief threatened to "cut me and take me to prison" if i didnt comply (pretty certain he didnt mean "cut" but still).
Everything is in order. No work permit, but they cant just show up and demand money and confiscate my passport. Theyre stopping at all foreign owned places...
Sounds like they're going door to door targeting business owners, who are thus obviously working.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Shit's getting real. Fuck.... Whatever.... I'm no uncle penny bags, but it's 100 bucks or so. Big deal
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

A friend's school was visited in late August... Yes August. Cops pulled the same shit. Asked to check visas. So boss sent everyone home to get their passports. They come back and hand them over expecting a quick peek and to get them back. Cops did the same, demanded $130 or some shit for work permits. Didn't matter about how many visas.

This is 100 percent confirmed. Everyone paid.

My current school is in talks with police over past months trying to "figure things out" hmmmm.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

I just want to add that i do believe a few Barrang heads down in Kampot need to be fucking knocked together. I remember when all this WP shit started..... Seemed like it was down there....
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Shit's getting real. [/quote] Well, i take no pleasure in telling so since I'm in the same boat, but I told you so. Just too big a cash cow for the ministries to not milk.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

taabarang wrote:Well, i take no pleasure in telling so since I'm in the same boat, but I told you so. Just too big a cash cow for the ministries to not milk.
The upside for you is at the moment they seem to only be targeting businesses and people they know for certain are actually working... (based on that recent info).

It is also in a much more expat popular part of town than where you hang your hat. You may still escape it.

Also good is that it seems to be this 1 time fine, vs a bunch of backdated fines for however long you've been here without one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic