Moving & retire in Siem Reap

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Safari
Tourist
Taiwan

Moving & retire in Siem Reap

Post by Safari »

Hi I’m living in Taiwan and have been for 18 months, getting fed up with lady and daughter I’m living with.
I’m on retired house rental in UK is my income,but happy to do work for extra cash.
I would be after 1 bed modern apartment or single story.
I know you must hear this a lot, can you let me know what figures I’m looking into? I’m hoping for $180 US or less Monthly.
Please laugh at me I’m unrealistic.
Regards
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Moving & retire in Siem Reap

Post by Anchor Moy »

Safari wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:03 pm Hi I’m living in Taiwan and have been for 18 months, getting fed up with lady and daughter I’m living with.
I’m on retired house rental in UK is my income,but happy to do work for extra cash.
I would be after 1 bed modern apartment or single story.
I know you must hear this a lot, can you let me know what figures I’m looking into? I’m hoping for $180 US or less Monthly.
Please laugh at me I’m unrealistic.
Regards
$180 a month or less for rent is realistic. Rents are cheap in Siem Reap right now. I'm not there, but have a friend who moved there two months ago and has a nice place for $150. I've also seen on social media that landlords in Siem Reap are doing rent reductions for longstay guests, so check out the SR Expats FB page.

Now you just have to get to Cambodia. Good luck.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

As above plenty of ok accommodation in SR some info on this thread (once you get past Siem Reap ROddy's tedious questions) ask-the-expats-questions-answers/rooms- ... ap%20roddy

One point - how old are you sir? you say you are retired? you can get an annual retirement visa easily past age of 55 that means no hassles - what it also means, and to be aware of, however, is that you are not allowed to earn an income/work in country - external monies such as your UK rental are no issue. Not sure of Taiwans health system but here decent care cost $$$ so well worth getting some insurance.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Have you heard of the coronavirus pandemic? It might be a while until you can move.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

You can find "local" rooms for as little as $40 a month. By modern I take it you want something a bit more like "home"? If so then your $180 is cutting it close. I have no doubt that some legwork can find you something fairly comfortable for $100-$125 a month but I wouldn't call it modern.

Keep in mind to ask about water, electric, and wifi. Many places charge a flat rate for water, and may or may not pad the electric bill a bit. WiFi in SR is reasonable but they do charge Westerners a bit more than Khmer, so advantageous if its included in the rent.

A more important matter may be health care. Depending on your health, you may find its very expensive to seek out quality care. It often means trips to Thailand (currently can't do it due to Covid-19). It will be a big step down from the options you have in Taiwan. Also keep in mind that you'll pay $300 a year for your retirement visa.

If you can relocate late this year, I'd venture that you'll find some very good deals on rentals. Try to sign something that gives you a 2nd and 3rd year option at the same price.

I know a few gentleman that "get by" on $900-1100 a month. But don't kid yourself - thats what they do - get by. If your happy with going to the gym, eating at home, using the internet and occasional socializing then you can do it. Want/need anything more and you'll run into financial troubles.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

The best and only way to find out whether you can live there and enjoy your retirement as things have changed very dramatically this year! Is take a quick or not so quick visit! Everyone is different.and there is quite a few great places to live and retire in Cambodia " Asia"
But as another post said have you heard of the pandemic? can you visit! Travel here? you may have to wait a little while!
My 2 cents worth of advice is!
The one thing I think your doing correctly
If your not enjoying your relationship
Just slip out the back Jack
Make a new plan Stan ( which you are doing)
you dont need to be coy Roy
Just get yourself free................................ Good Luck
i have a work associate/friend who married a Taiwanese lady, he's retired and lives there! he loves Taiwan ?
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic