new Road rules/fines being strictly enforced ?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

new Road rules/fines being strictly enforced ?

Post by Austman »

Publication date 07 July 2020 | 22:28 ICT

Traffic police officers collected over $3 million in fines throughout the Kingdom during the past two months when officers strictly enforced the law in accordance with a May sub-decree, officials said.

As incentives, law enforcement officers received between 200,000 and two million riel ($50 to $500) each.

The figures were made public during the National Road Safety Committee’s (NRSC) conference, which analysed road traffic safety during the first six months of this year.
Held at the Ministry of Interior on Tuesday, the conference was also attended by officials from the National Police and the Ministry of Public Works and Transport.
Transport ministry secretary of state and NRSC secretary-general Min Manvy said during that timeframe, 1,619 traffic accidents occurred in the country, causing 816 deaths and 2,449 injuries.

Phnom Penh recorded the most deaths with 146, followed by Kampong Thom province (60) and Kandal province (59).

Manvy said 33 per cent of the accidents were caused by excessive speeding, 23 per cent through disregarding traffic signs and 14 per cent by not obeying the right of way.
Other factors included dangerous overtaking, making turns in dangerous circumstances, vehicle-related factors and driving while drowsy.
During the same period, police inspected nearly one million vehicles, 61 per cent of which were motorcycles. Of the number, 234,114 (24 per cent), were found to be illegal and had been fined. Motorbikes accounted for 65 per cent of the fines.

Vans transporting workers recorded seven accidents, leaving three dead and 200 injured.

In May and June, police issued 83,386 fines, 73 per cent of which were issued to motorcycle riders.

Manvy said during the two months, traffic police at road traffic stations issued over 12.5 billion riel in fines. But 20 per cent of the fines have not yet been paid.

National Police chief Neth Savoeun attributed the decrease in traffic accidents to traffic law enforcement.
Vehicle operators changed their attitude by respecting the law, Savoeun said. While commending traffic police heads and law enforcement officers in Phnom Penh, he criticised law enforcement officers in Kampong Thom and Kampot provinces for the rise in traffic accidents there.

“Kampong Thom represents the biggest disgrace for the police. A traffic police officer [Rom Sovichea] was drunk and crashed into a garden. He even insulted the provincial governor. I don’t want to speak about it but I have to. Law enforcement in that place remains limited,” he said.

Savoeun said the incentives were specifically distributed to different official branches. He said 70 per cent of the total was given to police officers, 25 per cent was given to police departments to be spent on units as a whole, and five per cent was given to the State.
However, the State did not receive its full share as some of the incentive was used to produce and disseminate documents on traffic laws.

He said the lowest amount a police officer received as a bonus was 200,000 riel per month. Officers in Takeo province, which issued the least fines of any province in the country, received this amount.

In Phnom Penh, where the highest number of fines was issued, officers received two million riel per month.

Concerning traffic law enforcement, Manvy noted two kinds of reactions from the public and civil society organisations – pessimist, inconsiderate reactions with political bias and constructive reactions and requests.

“Pessimists intend to incite disruptions to society and oppose the moves taken by the police and the government. They use social media, fake websites and fake pictures to attack the police and the government,” she said.

She said government critics claimed the increased fines affected peoples’ livelihoods or that the government acted wrongly by choosing to enforce the new fines during the Covid-19 crisis.

Asia Injury Prevention Foundation country director Kim Pagna said traffic accidents decreased when the Road Traffic Law began to be strictly enforced. He applauded police efforts to enforce the law and encouraged them to enforce it strictly, transparently and equally.

He urged the police to educate citizens about law enforcement. The relevant authorities should respond quickly to reactions by citizens. Sometimes citizens make mistakes and sometimes, the police are at fault, he said.
Last edited by Austman on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Re: new Road rules/fines being strictly enforced ?

Post by Austman »

sorry if this is a repeat of a previous post. The government has amended the Road Traffic Law and updated the fines for all road violations.

A sub-decree released on Tuesday said the fine for motorcycle or tuk-tuk drivers and motorbike riders who fail to wear helmets or wear them incorrectly is 60,000 riel ($15).

Other violations of the Road Traffic Law regarding motorcycle and tuk-tuk drivers – including parking in places forbidden by the law, carrying too many passengers, driving up to 19km/h over the speed limit, or ignoring traffic signs are levied a 15,000 riel fine.

Drivers who score over a certain limit when performing an alcohol test will be charged 250,000-800,000 riel and won’t be allowed to continue their journey.

Moreover, drivers of light vehicles and heavy vehicles are fined 75,000 riel and 150,000 riel respectively if they don’t carry the necessary documentation, including driving licence and business permit.

Talking on the phone while driving now entails a fine of 120,000 riel for light vehicles and 225,000 riel for heavy vehicles.

Failing to conduct vehicle inspections, changing the colour of the vehicle without permission or placing stickers in inappropriate areas will make the owner liable to fines of between 180,000 and 375,000 riel.

Drivers who engage in illegal racing or drive exceeding the speed limit by 40 km/h will be slapped with a fine of between 300,000 and 625,000 riel, depending on the size of the vehicle.

Driving without a driver’s license or if the licence has been revoked or suspended is punishable with 1.2 million riel, or 2.4 million riel if driving a heavy vehicle. If the offence is repeated with six months, drivers can face legal charges.

AIP Foundation country director Kim Pagna told The Post that he agreed with the updates to the law and requested the government to disseminate the information widely so that citizens are aware.

“The news are being monopolised by the Covid-19 issue, so many people will probably miss learning about these amendments. I ask the government to share this information widely so that everyone is aware.

“I also ask authorities and police officers to implement the law correctly and transparently,” he said.
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: new Road rules/fines being strictly enforced ?

Post by AndyKK »

Yes they are pretty high fines, but who are they kidding, still many are extortion, set up in certain areas.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic