When the raggedy old guy acting up surprises you

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

When the raggedy old guy acting up surprises you

Post by IraHayes »

So, the setting (in case the guy recognises himself and offers an explanation)

Thai Hout, Monivong.
About mid morning

Popped in to grab some things on the way home and their was an old cargo short wearing, little bit scruffy but not unkempt guy at the checkout behind me.
He was muttering and swearing about something but not at anyone in particular that I could tell. Anyway, something had gotten to him. I think it could have been over the money or something... which given his visible appearance led me to think he was “scraping the penny barrel”, so to speak.
Anyway, I turn around to avoid making eye contact as I donn’t like engagIng with these types (unstable people have a habit of dragging bystanders into their fantasies) and I hear him finish and walk out as I am paying for my things. So,I look out the door and he’s only getting into a newish looking white 470/570 type SUV.

I seriously was like W.. T.. F!

So Mr Attitude...... if you read this please ... an explanation. Or are you always a dick in public?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: When the raggedy old guy acting up surprises you

Post by Anchor Moy »

Appearances aren't everything. My landlady used to come around to our place and weed the garden in her pyjamas. She was married to one of the biggest landowners in Sihanoukville.
As for your guy, maybe he was just having a really bad day ? Or he has mental health problems ? (muttering)
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Isn't it already most common to cross people with no particular money matters, looking a bit rough and muttering things to themselves ?
Money isn't always the problem.
I've met a few rich guys looking very average, some just don't give a shit how they look like, some intend to look poor, westerners or locals, for whatever reasons....
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

smart dress likely means you're an employed wage slave
shabby suggests you either can't be
or don't need to be

monstra mihi bona!
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:46 am smart dress likely means you're an employed wage slave
or don't need to be
Really Good point! love it!
I personally have a thing about my appearance physically ie NO pot belly and a certain standard of fitness maintained. And I am really not that fussed about my clothes whilst retired in Cambodia as long as they are clean......WHY??? Most old clothes are so much more breathable in the warm weather. My brother used to mumble to himself he had a mild form of tourettes far from a fruitcake. It takes all kinds to make the world go round I guess. And if i took some people I have met on first impressions I probably wouldn't have had some really good friends. lucky Me.
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:54 pm So, the setting (in case the guy recognises himself and offers an explanation)

Thai Hout, Monivong.
About mid morning

So,I look out the door and he’s only getting into a newish looking white 470/570 type SUV.

So Mr Attitude...... if you read this please ... an explanation. Or are you always a dick in public?
Your impressed with someone who has a SUV. OK WOW. Cambodia still surprises me sometimes.
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:46 am smart dress likely means you're an employed wage slave
or don't need to be
^ This 100%. I never knew this until I moved to the outskirts of Knoxville Tennessee. I have met many rich people in a beat-up rusty little ford ranger with stained blue jeans. It sticks because it's true- you truly judge a book by its cover.

I take it he was a white guy? a description isn't racism.
Still here, in country...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Austman wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:26 am
IraHayes wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:54 pm So, the setting (in case the guy recognises himself and offers an explanation)

Thai Hout, Monivong.
About mid morning

So,I look out the door and he’s only getting into a newish looking white 470/570 type SUV.

Your impressed with someone who has a SUV. OK WOW. Cambodia still surprises me sometimes.
I think you have misunderstood my position. So let me clarify things a little for you.

I was "surprised" to see a guy who I, initially, took as being slightly unstable with possible issues get into a nice car. The car in itself did not impress me.

Also, for those who have commented on how, people who have the money, dress. In particular, dressing in a way that, at first glance would seem to show they don't have any money.

His dress sense/style was only 1 factor in how I saw him. His dress style coupled with his behaviour was what I assessed when I labelled him as "unstable and one with whom I should not engage"
Indeed, I myself have known quite a few people who, whilst having the funds, chose to dress and own vehicles that, to a casual observer, would place them in the "hard up" group.
These people, however, would never behave in the way this gentleman did so whilst appearing to not have money one would not "try to avoid making eye contact with them" at the checkout.
ramone
Tourist
Samoa

Post by ramone »

I used to work at Le Royal. I remember some guy coming in wearing jeans and TShirt. He still looked loaded. Perhaps it was his haircut or his bearing. Hard to disguise wealth.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:26 pm Appearances aren't everything. My landlady used to come around to our place and weed the garden in her pyjamas. She was married to one of the biggest landowners in Sihanoukville.
As for your guy, maybe he was just having a really bad day ? Or he has mental health problems ? (muttering)
I agree with your comment about appearances but...

shoddy appearance + unstable behaviour = potential nutter to be avoided

And by the sound of it your landlady is missing an important part of the equation that would deem her to be a "potential nutter "

Shoddy appearance + gardening = (at worst) eccentric
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic