Foreign Car Driver Dings a Sports Car and Tries a Runner

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Foreign Car Driver Dings a Sports Car and Tries a Runner

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On July 6, 2020, at 10:10 am, an unidentified foreigner, of unknown nationality, hit an expensive sports car and a motorbike in two separate accidents with his car in Khan Sen Sok, Phnom Penh.
Before the incident, the foreigner was driving a Prada car, plate no. ONG22.2.228, when he hit a sports car, plate no.PP2BD-007. After dinging the expensive car, the foreign car driver tried to drive away as if nothing had happened, but he was chased by the victim who called his friend and the police for help.
In his panic to escape, the foreigner then crashed into a motorbike, which blocked his car so that he couldn't drive any further. The foreign man then locked his doors and refused to get out of his vehicle, even after the police arrived at the scene. So the police put a rock behind one of the wheels to prevent the car from driving away, and they waited.

Eventually, the foreign car driver called his translator to help him sort out the problem, and he agreed to pay $200 to the sports car driver and $100 to the motorbike driver for the damage.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Foreign Car Driver Dings a Sports Car and Tries a Runner

Post by angkorjohn2 »

So an NGO vehicle, hard to see which NGO from the stickers. He got away lightly for those prices.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Was the foreigner that of Chinese nationality by any chance, anyway luckily no one was hurt in the episode, only that of the foreign bad driver, for him to have a bad day and pay a sum of $300. Would you say he got off lightly, I feel for the poor chaps moto.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Those are NGO plates, I believe?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Put a rock under the wheel :clap: It’s a friggin’ SUV :lol:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

siliconlife wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:08 pm Those are NGO plates, I believe?
Yes, blue is for ONG (NGO) or ONU (UN). With those window stickers likely the former. It's quite rare to see NGO plates now but there are a few UN vehicles about. Mostly very utilitarian vehicles but I was surprised a few weeks ago to see what looked like an E class Merc with ONU plates.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:29 pm I was surprised a few weeks ago to see what looked like an E class Merc with ONU plates.
No1 candidate - UNESCO
They do some great work, invaluable work, here in Cambodia but they live like kings.
I have seen chaffeur driven Merc swing into the garage at the side of their residence opposite the National Museum.

I got talking to the head gateman one time i was taking photos of their HQ. Lovelest bloke in the world. Worked for unesco since 91/92 and was as proud as punch of "his charge". He invited me in for a tour, including some of the less public area upstairs - pure opulence, exquisitely executed.
Versaille.

It was a different story tho when i wrote a small chapter in their commemerative Cambodia-only special edition of their National Heritage magazine. No payment was deemed required. I was told instead to be greatful i had been given the privillage to grace their pages.
This edition was to mark the Nation Heritage section of UNESCO having their bienial big conference here about 4/5 years ago.

Hundreds of delegates, 5 star hotels, banquets 3 times a day, and they had to borrow more Mercs from Thailand to chaffeur tem all around. Combined with the 1st class airfare and an enterage for everybody it must have cost millions. Literally.

Mag was printed in 5 editions, 5 languages, print run of 60,000. Copy to every foreign embassy in every country. And to nearly every major scientific and cultural organ on the planet. Showcasing the natural and cultural wonders that Unesco has been involved with here. ( my peice was on the Tonle Sap Bioshere Reserve)
Not 10 bucks for the writers tho'.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Love the plate on the Aston Martin, not sure how many locals would get the connection though (if that is what was intended)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic