Hana Kimura’s Death - The Dark Side of Japanese Culture

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Hana Kimura’s Death - The Dark Side of Japanese Culture

Post by Bubble T »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 ams she just wanted to be loved by everyone. Something that is impossible in Japan.
It isn't possible anywhere. That's why learning to accept and love yourself is so important. If your happiness is only derived from validation by others, you will always have reason to be miserable.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 ams she just wanted to be loved by everyone. Something that is impossible in Japan.
It isn't possible anywhere. That's why learning to accept and love yourself is so important. If your happiness is only derived from validation by others, you will always have reason to be miserable.
Don't disagree, but that is a very Western view. The Japanese have a more externalized identity, as in their position in relation to others. Failing in the eyes of others is more traumatic and so on.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Big Daikon wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:10 am The Japanese have a more externalized identity, as in their position in relation to others. Failing in the eyes of others is more traumatic and so on.
Something I was unaware of is Hana Kimura being only half Japanese, on her Moms side. The other half being Indonesian, I think.

I've read that the Japanese can be very xenophobic, which probably explains why (as NKOTB explains) her mom told her that she'd "never be loved."

In her own misguided way, Kimuras mom was probably trying to mentally prepare her daughter for consistent rejection by Japanese culture / society.

Which in the end had tragic results.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Brody wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:41 amher mom told her that she'd "never be loved."
Lotta Tiger Moms in Japan. Also, I have met some Japanese parents who were/are quite psychologically cruel to their kids. Constant insults and putdowns. Perhaps seen as a motivational tool, but it can mess up some people.

The "Haafu" (Half) issue can be a factor, too.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Japanese are big on conformity. Everyone has their place in society.

I’ve never seen Hana’s mom publicly come out with a cute, bubbly persona. She was always the terrifying warrior woman, period. That’s her place in society. That’s Hana’s place in that society, too.

When Hana stepped out of her place, then the name calling and cyberbullying began. Starting with ‘Gorilla’ and going worse from there.

Reminds me of an article a while back. Elementary school kid beaten viciously by his classmates. The crime? He was naturally fat. Societal enforcement of conformity.

Lots of halves move back to the west after growing up in Japan. Especially those with dark complexions.

Poor Hana, RIP.
Rocky 666
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Rocky 666 »

Hana RIP. This poor sensitive girl was fuked.... because, If you judge your life and set your self esteem by what is written about you ON LINE by a bunch of semi literate, totally inexperienced kids then you are a true ''product'' of society, born after 1990. You have been bought and sold by computer and phone companies, you have a name like Skylar or Brody, you have limited social skills and contact because you are a sad on liner with 1000 internet friends and 0 real ones ! You have seen sex 1 million times but your right hand is your only real point of any true physical contact. You feel entitled but you have never taken any real risks. Your the type who goes to Cambodia and sets up a Cambodian profile because it is all so real out here..., isn't it !! Not knowning for a second just how deeply your hollow sound echoes all around you. You finally feel connected but you have lived so little that you are anything but. A Kahmer relationship awaits you and it will show you a grim dirty reality that strips skin from bone. You think ''Not Me'' ,When in reality TO ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING that dosen't involve a 2 Dimensional screen and a jar of vaseline is an Enoumous test and extremely difficult for you, isn't it. I don't know B, think of this poor girl........maybe you should just run home now, while your still intact. Either way kids , We all float down here.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Feeling better, bro? Get it all out?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

^^ I’m sure Brody will appreciate the reference :lol:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Yerg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:25 pm ^^ I’m sure Brody will appreciate the reference :lol:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The plot thickens...

Apparently, the incident was set up by the show’s producers.

She told to play ‘the heel’.

This is from an interview from her mom...

(English translation).

https://cultaholic.com/posts/kyoko-kimu ... was-staged

Makes her death ten times worse.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic