Best e payment tool?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Best e payment tool?

Post by rogerrabbit »

xandreu wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:08 am I've noticed that many stores in Cambodia either don't accept straight forward Visa / Mastercard payments or are very reluctant to do so, and I don't blame them. I think these days, with so many other ways to pay electronically (fee-free), the fees that Visa and Mastercard apply make them pretty much unviable as payment options. Stores either have to pass the fee onto the customer or suck it up themselves.

I've noticed that many stores make themselves out to be 'cash only' types of stores but if you ask, they often have a direct transfer facility where you simply transfer the money from your ABA account into theirs via your ABA app. I just wish they realised the importance of letting customers know this without them having to ask.

I tried to buy a laptop last week and they told me they only accept cash. I said I don't carry that amount of cash on me, to which they just shrugged their shoulders. It was only through me asking them directly if I could do a direct ABA transfer that they said yes. - Bizarre if you ask me. They'd rather lose a big sale rather than just mention that an alternative to cash is to do a direct ABA transfer. (I didn't buy the laptop in the end for reasons I highlighted in another post)

But for small purchases, I'd recommend PiPay. Great for discounts and special offers. For everything else I just use cash or ABA transfers / ABA Pay (the QR code thingy they often have at the till)
Merchants have to pay fees when receiving payments through mobile payment apps too and in many cases it can be as big as Visa/Mastercard's fee. So I don't think that is the real reason. I think its something to do that people here are not used to use credit cards so even merchants have been hesitated to use them.

If the shop/restaurant has credit card or mobile payment option, I have never needed to pay any extra for using it. I used to pay even my rent with credit card without any extra fees. And I feel within last year or so shops have started to have the payment machines more visible then before and they can actually use them.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Best e payment tool?

Post by Robins »

This horror is going to be forced on us soon enough when physical money is eliminated. With money will go anything that resembles privacy or freedom, everywhere you go and everything you do can be tracked by governments and advertisers. Why the hell would anyone want to do this voluntarily? That will only make it easier to impose.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic