At least 100 dead after landslide sinks jade mine in Myanmar

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

At least 100 dead after landslide sinks jade mine in Myanmar

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The vast quarry had been hit with heavy rainfall in the preceding days. (Myanmar Fire Services Department)

By Stuart Marsh
Jul 2, 2020

A mine collapse has killed 113 people in the southeast Asian country of Myanmar.

The Myanmar Fire Services Department confirmed on social media that workers were digging for stones but were swamped by mud and water when heavy rainfall caused the quarry to collapse.

The victims are reportedly freelance miners who settle near giant mounds of discarded earth that has been mined in bulk by heavy machinery.

The freelance miners who scavenge for bits of jade usually work and live at the base of the mounds of earth, which become particularly unstable during the rainy season.

The mine is located in the Hpakant Township in the Kachin State of Myanmar, and is well known for its collection of jade mines.

full https://www.9news.com.au/world/myanmar- ... 8f5257730a
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: At least 100 dead after landslide sinks jade mine in Myanmar

Post by phuketrichard »

160+ deaths and more expected,
Tragic

The incident took place early on Thursday in the jade-rich Hpakant area of Kachin state after a bout of heavy rainfall, the Myanmar Fire Services Department said on Facebook.

Maung Khaing, a 38-year-old miner from the area, said he saw a towering pile of waste that looked on the verge of collapse and was about to take a picture when people began shouting "run, run!"
Within a minute, all the people at the bottom [of the hill] just disappeared," he told Reuters news agency by phone.
I feel empty in my heart. I still have goosebumps ... There were people stuck in the mud shouting for help, but no one could help them

Other bodies are in the mud. The numbers are going to rise," he told Reuters.
Than Hlaing, a member of a local civil society group helping in the aftermath of the disaster, said those killed were informal workers scavenging the waste left by a larger mining company.
There's no hope for the families to get compensation as they were freelance miners," she said i don't see any route to escape this kind of cycle. People take risks go into landfills, as they have no choice
Official sales of jade in Myanmar were worth $750.4m in 2016-2017, according to data published by the government as part of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative But experts believe the true value of the industry, which mainly exports to China, is much larger Northern Myanmar's abundant natural resources - including jade, timber, gold and amber - have also helped finance both sides of a decades-long conflict between ethnic Kachin and the military
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: At least 100 dead after landslide sinks jade mine in Myanmar

Post by hanno »

Richard, the clip you posted is from a couple of weeks ago, in some Scandinavian country, with no casualties.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic