Coronavirus Lockdown Dims Thailand's Once-Thriving Sex Trade

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown Dims Thailand's Once-Thriving Sex Trade

Post by Anchor Moy »

glennb6 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 pm I tink I may have posted something like this recently, but why not be redundant.

Since the mid to late 70s Thailand has had "the reputation" for it's outrageous and wild nightlife catering to the adult men of the world. Govt could never have been able to achieve that status if they had tried, and fortunately they more or less let it happen albeit with some baht stuffed in brown envelopes. I've no clue the actual numbers the adult tourist trade brought in, but it has to be quite large.

My view is that the Thai govt should embrace that reputation and leverage it for even greater tourism. Promote it as safer than 'western red light districts', overall lower cost than other countries, far more fun than in restrictive countries. Adults can come to play like adults in Thailand - if got a wife and kids, then take them to Disneyland instead. Ignore the feminazis and do-gooders who what to control everyone and get on with it. Pattaya has the most bars per square mile anywhere on the planet and plenty of friendly girls to keep you company. Etc for slogans and TAT pitches.

Such a lost opportunity now that the current regime seems bent on killing the adult nightlife industry and the billions of baht that came from it.
(Devil's advocat) Is this such a lost opportunity ?
Would you think the same thing about your hometown ? That it's better for all the women in town (your family and friends) to be on the game rather than have standard jobs. I'm just stirring, but at the same time, I wonder if this is not an ideal time for countries like Thailand to rethink their tourist attractions such as the sex trade, and work out what it really brings to the country and what it destroys socially.
I'm just musing, but would you want your country and your people to be some sort of Disneyland sex world for foreigners ?
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I agree with your sentiments Anchor Moy, however in my view the sad fact is the government does not have the care or ability to extend prosperity wide enough that a large segment of the population are offered any alternative. Additionally far too many of the current regime are wrapped in the nefarious side of the country you describe.

My own prediction is that the only thing that will change is the nationality and economic worthiness of those occupying the seats ogling some poor young uneducated Isaan girl struggling to support her poorer family back in the province.

In short the government don't give a shit about the people since they are now in as an unaccountable position as they have ever been.

" Returning happiness to the people" yeah right.

The view from my condo front door today. 3 hours these people waited in the heat for free food, the queue up the hill to the right stretched a km I'm told.

Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 pm (Devil's advocat) Is this such a lost opportunity ?
Would you think the same thing about your hometown ? That it's better for all the women in town (your family and friends) to be on the game rather than have standard jobs. I'm just stirring, but at the same time, I wonder if this is not an ideal time for countries like Thailand to rethink their tourist attractions such as the sex trade, and work out what it really brings to the country and what it destroys socially.
I'm just musing, but would you want your country and your people to be some sort of Disneyland sex world for foreigners ?
It’s normal to be a dreaming idealist at the age of 20.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 pm
glennb6 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 pm I tink I may have posted something like this recently, but why not be redundant.

Since the mid to late 70s Thailand has had "the reputation" for it's outrageous and wild nightlife catering to the adult men of the world. Govt could never have been able to achieve that status if they had tried, and fortunately they more or less let it happen albeit with some baht stuffed in brown envelopes. I've no clue the actual numbers the adult tourist trade brought in, but it has to be quite large.

My view is that the Thai govt should embrace that reputation and leverage it for even greater tourism. Promote it as safer than 'western red light districts', overall lower cost than other countries, far more fun than in restrictive countries. Adults can come to play like adults in Thailand - if got a wife and kids, then take them to Disneyland instead. Ignore the feminazis and do-gooders who what to control everyone and get on with it. Pattaya has the most bars per square mile anywhere on the planet and plenty of friendly girls to keep you company. Etc for slogans and TAT pitches.

Such a lost opportunity now that the current regime seems bent on killing the adult nightlife industry and the billions of baht that came from it.
no problem with musing and being devils advocate as you say.

Pattaya, a few small sections of BKK, some of Phuket and a couple other areas are NOT the entire country nor are they ALL THE WOMEN in town.
I don't have the numbers for prostitution 'thai style' vs 'western tourist style' but I'm sure the former has been around a whole lot longer than the later and it ain't small. But it's quieter to the outside world.

You do know that little Noy from UpperNowhere Province will be lucky to earn 300b a day at a normal job and unless she's from a well off family will be lucky to get past 6 or 8 yrs in school. Basically she'll be a slave to the system - maybe happy, maybe not. She comes to Pattaya and earns double, triple, or more a day, parties, and chooses if and who she's going to boink. If she's clever she'll save money - some do, some don't. If she's clever and interested she might land a decent foreign husband - which might work, and might not. She'll probably learn english and maybe another language, and get 'an education' that can never be taught at a school - and lean that the world doesn't end at the thai lao border.

As for a moral argument against?... Little Noy is not chained to a bed. She chooses if she works bar, and which 'customers' she will go with. If she had a 'problem' with a foreign customer she could use the services of the BIB, the taxi mafia, or friends, and problem would be solved and gone. The 'tourist sex trade' is designed to extract money from the tourists and she'll be the beneficiary. She is NOT a victim.

What does sex tourist trade bring to Thailand? Money, and lots of it. Repeat tourism. An acceptable blending of western and eastern cultures. A few westerners who go long term live here and that often includes supporting Little Noy, all of which is a net positive.
It brings a minority element of tattooed loud skinheads who can get socially obnoxious, but they're pretty well kept penned up in a few small areas and kept under control by BIB if they get out of hand.

It brings, or I should say exports a 'reputation' to the rest of the world. So what. Take the kids elsewhere, or take them to temples. That reputation is a perception issue, not a problem. It's as easy to present it as "we're adults and are free to do as we please, and you are welcome if you please". I'm not a marketing guy but it would be easy to present the adult tourism as just that - and safe, and cheap, and fun, and non-exploitative, and safe, and for adults.

And I don't see the sex tourist trade destroying anything, quite that opposite. Ignore the moral nazis who what to run your and everyone else's lives.

Thanks
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

that's a very redundant argument - because, by the same token, I wouldn't want my family members or friends working a shit low wage job, such as burger flipper, yet have no issues with fast food chains being allowed to operate.
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

Yes, except that the sex trade was already ingrain and thriving in Thailand culture and society long before the US forces went there on R&R and later the foreign tourists went there for that attraction.

Not uncommon to hear of a thai teenage boy losing his virginity at a brothel/massage place arranged and taken there by his father.
Thai women secretly sidelining in massage, brothels or freelancing at coffee shops.
Short time drive-in motel places.
GFs getting 'lent' out to friends for 'favours'.
Men having multiple 'wives'

So sure, the Thais can consider whether to close down the sex trade for tourist attraction but they might also have to look a bit closer locally too.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 pm ....
I'm just musing,
that's for sure.

Mankind will only be free when all the women are hookers and all the men are security guards.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Multipox wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:20 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 pm ....
I'm just musing,
that's for sure.

Mankind will only be free when all the women are hookers and all the men are security guards.
Or the other way around :head shot:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic