Why bother with all the aliases?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jaclu
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Why bother with all the aliases?

Post by jaclu »

Hi,
I ended up spending the last two christmases in PP and rather enjoyed it, now planning to move there.

I kind of stumbled in on Garage and k440 the first winter, and after reading it for a while I started to realise that I have actually met several active posters, either last year or this winter.

And now comes this forum :)

What Im struggling to understand is this whole thing about the notorious alias usage. Seems to be the same thing here, but to confuse me even more some people use different aliases in the different forums.

What purpose does it fill for you guys? I guess Im the minority here, but me, i have always just used the same handle in every tool i ever used. Never bothered hiding my identity, my take is that its more convenient to use the same handle in every forum, then people will know who you are. And in the end any potential cred or non cred I would have would be on my name, so why not keep to it?

I can see a usage case for the odd sock puppet, with a neutral name, but to go dark on your main ID seems a bit over the top.

I dont mean this in a judgemental way, what ever makes your day etc, but I do want to say that this setup with secret aliases just adds a layer of confusion, where Im not sure I can see the advantage.

I guess its me being lazy or something, but to me, it seems simpler to know a person under a single name, not trying to remember his/hers three aliases on forum a, then another two in forum b, it kinds of gets a bit much if I may say so. Spending so much effort just trying to sync who is who.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Why bother with all the aliases?

Post by EdinWigan »

jaclu wrote:Hi,
I ended up spending the last two christmases in PP and rather enjoyed it, now planning to move there.

I kind of stumbled in on Garage and k440 the first winter, and after reading it for a while I started to realise that I have actually met several active posters, either last year or this winter.

And now comes this forum :)

What Im struggling to understand is this whole thing about the notorious alias usage. Seems to be the same thing here, but to confuse me even more some people use different aliases in the different forums.

What purpose does it fill for you guys? I guess Im the minority here, but me, i have always just used the same handle in every tool i ever used. Never bothered hiding my identity, my take is that its more convenient to use the same handle in every forum, then people will know who you are. And in the end any potential cred or non cred I would have would be on my name, so why not keep to it?

I can see a usage case for the odd sock puppet, with a neutral name, but to go dark on your main ID seems a bit over the top.

I dont mean this in a judgemental way, what ever makes your day etc, but I do want to say that this setup with secret aliases just adds a layer of confusion, where Im not sure I can see the advantage.

I guess its me being lazy or something, but to me, it seems simpler to know a person under a single name, not trying to remember his/hers three aliases on forum a, then another two in forum b, it kinds of gets a bit much if I may say so. Spending so much effort just trying to sync who is who.

Same Same
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

This question has been discussed here already.

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I've always wanted to start an account that multiple users have access to, but no one fully knows everyone who is using it.

Mostly as a social experiment, I've actually tried to do it before, anonymously PMing people the PW to the account, but had no takers.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

To the OP, a lot of the posters from other forums were uncertain when signing up here how certain vengeful children who own forums might react to them signing up on a different one... so chose to alter their handle on this one to be safe. sad that it has to be that way, but most have made their previous handle known either in private or publicly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

jaclu wrote:
That includes Kennzo and I, for sure!

Welcome to CEO, we're glad to have you!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

I met loads of posters from the other forum (this one had not yet been born) on my last visit to PP and generally around Cambodia. I found all of them great to chat to and very welcoming, without exception, although some did seem like extras from a Tarantino film set.

Some were massively different to their on line personal. I put that down to how they view there forum experience. For some it is an escape from their rather serious daytime (real life) role. On-line they can totally let go and though insults and cast aspersions, to their heart content in the safe and sound knowledge they are not going to be chatting, uncomfortably, over a Dry Martini, at the next embassy function, with their victim. Others, were just (to quote Horace : Keyboard Warriors, I do like that term) and in real life probably feared the real life wrath of their on-line victims.

Each to their own. I can see why the move from the 'Other' forum to hear has also caused some to adopt am alternative 'Handle' for much the same reasons but maybe exchanging victims for previous forum owners. Again I can see their point.

For me, I am basically what it says on the tin but then again I am not a Captain of Industry or a Mover and Shaker, so I can just simply be me. I kind of like it that way

It does put me in mind of another member (not boss) of the previous forum, who took it on himself to assassinate me (on-line) on each and every occasion. I was new to forums generally and he took it upon himself to appoint me his on-line bitch boy. Flaming me on anything and everything I dared to post as he was such an old, wise and SEA experience man, of so I thought.

Finally, after suffering this relentless torrent of abuse, although I was supported in PM's by many other posters, thank you to them, I arranged to meet this Stalwart of Sarcasm. The location was to be the Garage, the inner sanctum of the forums high and mighty. I drank a beer or two to calm my nerves. After a while I could not pick him out from his avatar. So, I took a deep breath and walked over to ask JM who was busy chatting and doing some computer stuff.

'Hi' I said when I had waited a while for a break in the conversation he was having, I don't like to be rude, 'I am looking for someone from K440 called ****** ( name removed to protect the guilty) To my total surprise the young lad next to him declared himself to be the same, the Stalwart of Sarcasm himself. I was totally gob smacked, THIS was the person who has cut me to the bone on-line several times a day for the previous few weeks. A young polite, American lad, with a taste for a good burger, or three.

My lesson learned, some on here are really not anything like they seem, if and when you meet them in real life, others are. A good lesson for me to learn.

So now, well I plan my escape from my wheel and one the day soon, when I can move out and become a SEA Ex-Pat resident. What has come of the American Lad, he has risen to the dizzy heights in the forum world and I wish him all the best with all he does and with his ongoing battle to finally break through the puberty barrier.

:bow:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

EdinWigan wrote:A young polite, American lad, with a taste for a good burger, or three.
I'd watch that bastard, he's dodgy! ;)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:
EdinWigan wrote:A young polite, American lad, with a taste for a good burger, or three.
Why...that was G-Mack I do believe...I've seen him eat 3 burgers at Garage before...for sure at least 3....
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

dagenham wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Why...that was G-Mack I do believe...I've seen him eat 3 burgers at Garage before...for sure at least 3....

I do not, nor do I condone the 'Outing' of fellow members, but you were sat with the afore mentioned mysterious 'Stalwart of Sarcasm' at the time. :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic