Tesla - $205 Billion Value...Profits $ZERO (ever)

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Tesla - $205 Billion Value...Profits $ZERO (ever)

Post by Doc67 »

Tesla becomes world's most valuable carmaker without making a profit

It's a funny old world.

Tesla has overhauled Japanese rival Toyota to become the world’s most valuable automotive company.

Despite never having made a profit, the billionaire Elon Musk’s electric car manufacturer has been tipped by some pundits to achieve a valuation of more than $1tn (£800bn) as demand for electric vehicles soars.

Shares in Tesla climbed by more than 4% during Wednesday to more than $1,100 apiece, giving the company a valuation of $209bn, ahead of Toyota on $205bn. The increase means Tesla has now outstripped Toyota on the stock market, even factoring in differences in the way that companies are valued in the US and Japan.

The rise in Tesla’s share price is doubly good news for Musk, who enjoys a controversial pay arrangement linked to the company’s stock market performance that could theoretically hand him a $55bn bonus.

Under the scheme corporate governance experts have described as “staggering”, Musk must build Tesla into a $650bn company over the next 10 years, meaning the company’s share price will have to more than treble from Wednesday’s price of $209bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... g-a-profit
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Tesla - $205 Billion Value...Profits $ZERO (ever)

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Stock picks of the week for revheads, trumpians, micheal moore fanboys and other dinasours...
Peabody Coal
Shale oil
Ford
KrisEnergy
and their ^^^ financiers

hee hee hee
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Sell your shares :mrgreen:
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

While it may seem odd for a company never turning a profit being valued so highly history tells us this is irrelevant....for years Amazon never turned a profit but was highly valued in the market, now look at how much money it makes especially for the founder. Similarly facebook was thought to be overvalued, when it floated the shares tanked a little as nobody could understand how it would monetise itself to turn a profit, again we now see it is worth billions more and turning mega profits.

A lot of these are bets on the future and potential of a company. Whats to say in 10 years time Tesla is making billions of profit in sales, the money men certainly seem to think so.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 pm Sell your shares :mrgreen:
They debuted in 2010 at $17. Now at $1213.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Like Amazon or Spotify? (Ok not car companies)
The future value isn’t what is now it’s the tech and future value.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I reckon Boy Wonder is a genius and i would back him with every single one of my millions if i had any spare.

But i would still like to drop a whack straigt on his choppers for his assumptions about expats.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Besides the Tesla I don't really get why Ferrari is so high in that list. Can anyone explain?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 pm Image
Besides the Tesla I don't really get why Ferrari is so high in that list. Can anyone explain?
I would imagine that the formula 1 team plays a part no doubt, plus "the brand" , they have fashion lines from caps to t-shirts and other monetized branded objects with the dancing horse that sell globally
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:54 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 pm Image
I would imagine that the formula 1 team plays a part no doubt, plus "the brand" , they have fashion lines from caps to t-shirts and other monetized branded objects with the dancing horse that sell globally
You’re not a million miles wrong AJ2. The F1 element is actually a drain, strictly financially speaking.

However, the R&D element of the work they do on the track feeds straight in to the road cars they build. Which in turn translates into value.

The same can be said for Mercedes. Despite all their recent success, F1 costs them to run. Ask yourself why Toto Wolff is now a shareholder in Aston Martin, a track rival????

Ferrari’s value is implicit upon F1. Were they to step away, watch their value fall. They are seen as leaders, despite not having a world champion nor a world championship in many years. They hoped Seb Vettel would change that. He didn’t. Because their car wasn’t good enough. LeClerc, on the other hand, is different gravy. And is making a poor car sing a fine tune.

Ferrari has history and heritage which props up their value.

Ask yourself this. If money were no object, would you buy a Ferrari? For many people the answer is yes. And that’s why they are so valuable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic