Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand finds way to fuck Farangs .........(again) :evil:
Health officials have instructed administrators at Thailand’s state hospitals to begin implementing a new rate structure that significantly raises prices for non-citizens.
Under the new rules that came into effect this week, public hospitals are to charge patients at essentially four different tiers based on their legal status: Thai nationals, citizens of neighboring countries and working foreigners on non-immigrant visas. The fourth group consists of tourists and retirees.

While foreigners from other ASEAN nations will pay the same rates as Thai nationals, they increase significantly for the third group – which includes most expats – while retirees and tourists pay much more, often double.
a detailed breakdown of fees showed things like a simple antibody screening, which would cost Thais and ASEAN residents THB130, will now cost expats THB190. Retirees and tourists would pay double – THB260

The new rules introduced the kind of dual-pricing for foreigners that has been a source of complaints over the years when it happened illicitly. Now, it’s the law.
https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-p ... PcygifrunI
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

Post by atst »

That's Thailand off the list for retirement
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

With the economy in a mess they may as well lay the boots into medical tourism as well.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

No foreigner in their right mind would set foot in most (there are some notable exceptions) Thai public hospitals anyway. Private hospitals, on the other hand, have always been overcharging foreigners as much as they could get away with.

My take on this: Make sure you have excellent insurance and let your insurance company deal with the crooks who do the invoicing at Thai hospitals. They can out-crook each other all day long as far as I'm concerned.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Imagine our beloved state healthcare systems trying that on with foreigners? The cries of racism would be deafening.

New policy to be considered; we should treat all foreign nationals precisely how their countries treat our citizens. (except Visa's, or we'll be overrun by foreigners!)
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:28 pm Imagine our beloved state healthcare systems trying that on with foreigners? The cries of racism would be deafening.

New policy to be considered; we should treat all foreign nationals precisely how their countries treat our citizens. (except Visa's, or we'll be overrun by foreigners!)
They already do. Non EU citizens coming to work in the uk have to pay £600 up front when they get their visa. You pay more in almost every western country if you are not in the local health insurance scheme. For example you need your health card to get subsisized medicines in most EU countries which gets you anything up to 75% off the sticker price. Bizzarely my meds in the EU with an EHIC card cost me less than the prescriptioncharges in the UK :-(
Even at 100% premium treatment in Thailand is cheap. I paid thb1200 for sking treatment at St louisin bangkok, Bumrungrad quoted THB 15000 for the same treatment, which was still half what it would hve cost to go private in the UK
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

Who keep the difference in price? The hospital or the government? :please:
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

This is a 9-month-old story.

Nevertheless, a medical fee is a medical fee in a for-profit hospital and is not elastic, except in Thailand, where the colour of your skin determines your bill. This must be why they're allowing medical tourists into the country first.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:40 pm This is a 9-month-old story.

Nevertheless, a medical fee is a medical fee in a for-profit hospital and is not elastic, except in Thailand, where the colour of your skin determines your bill. This must be why they're allowing medical tourists into the country first.
Exactly, and I would hazard a guess that a significant number of those allowed in under the medical tourism exemption will be from the Middle East, which is a bit of a bummer considering those countries seem to be the biggest concentration of Covid infection amongst returning overseas Thais. I met a friend for lunch today who had been for his regular check up at Bangkok Pattaya and he said the place was empty.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:28 pm Imagine our beloved state healthcare systems trying that on with foreigners? The cries of racism would be deafening.

They already do. Non EU citizens coming to work in the uk have to pay £600 up front when they get their visa.
That’s a little misleading PC. And not, I’m sure, the crux of Doc’s point.

Yes, the legal visa-holders who abide by the process, pay the £600.

Let’s now discuss the legions of health tourists, illegals, asylum-seekers et al. I think these are who Doc was referring to.

His comment was to “treat all foreign nationals”, not those that come on a visa and pay their £600.

In much the same way that as a barang tourist in PP, I’d be expected to pay my own way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic