Western Journalist Accused of Racism Against Asian Fruit

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Western Journalist Accused of Racism Against Asian Fruit

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Durian Fiasco: How a Story About Asian Fruits Sparked a Debate on Orientalism
A New York Times story celebrating Southeast Asia's fruity bounty (while trading in what many say are reductive stereotypes) has prompted an outpouring of criticism online.
by Heather Chen
June 29, 2020, 11:55am

[Then] the New York Times published a piece on Thailand’s fruit culture by its Bangkok-based bureau chief, Hannah Beech, titled "Eating Thai Fruit Demands Serious Effort But Delivers Sublime Reward." The piece explores, in a florid style familiar to readers of "exotic" food writing, the pleasures, disappointments, and aggravations of regional staples such as rambutan, jackfruit, mangosteen, snake fruit, and of course, the King of Fruits, durian.

But unlike most Western media outlets’ semi-regular toe-dips into durian coverage (almost always reduced to the conclusion "hey, it smells!"), the Times’ article sparked a heated online conversation about Western coverage of Asian food, and it’s sometimes allegedly problematic tendency to traffic in colonial, orientalist tropes.

From Singapore and Malaysia to Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines, Twitter users slammed the Times’ story as "poorly informed," "terrible," and even flat-out "racist," rallying to the defense of the region’s beloved fruits.

"No one insults a mangosteen. One worships it as the fruit of the gods!," tweeted the novelist Monique Truong. "Also, a rambutan looks like the coronavirus?... Why don't you just go ahead and call it the 'kung flu' of fruits?"

Full article: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8898 ... ism-debate

Hannah Beech's article for the NYT Eating Thai Fruit Demands Serious Effort but Delivers Sublime Reward can be read here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/worl ... urian.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Western Journalist Accused of Racism Against Asian Fruit

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

God, I love how people get so offended over nothing nowadays.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
God
Omnipotent
Cambodia

Post by God »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 am God, I love how people get so offended over nothing nowadays.

God knows how you feel.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

retarded
durian lovers who enjoy their fruit like how Europeans enjoy wine and cheese—and Western media outlets often miss this point
sans the skill and artistry of wine and cheese-makers, obviously
is modern durian even a man-made breed?
i don't see how this point improves any stereotype, in fact the opposite

and how dare they criticize this woman giving a voice to her lived experience

the world has become post-modern, post-truth, post-rational
How French "Intellectuals" Ruined the West
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Am wondering where the journalist got her education from?
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I am so happy that I am a hermit - miss all this cr*p snowflake/PC trash. I call a spade a spade and a twat a twat......
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Its just plain silliness to bring racism into an issue of selling and eating fruits.
If you like durian, the best I have ever tasted is on sale at 20000reil per kilo, the stones inside are small and the fruit is that of a very creamy texture. I tried to ask the variety type of fruit, but didn't get a reply.
The shop only sells durian, located street 369, righthand side next to the pharmacy. Well worth the buy.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 am God, I love how people get so offended over nothing nowadays.
Tell me & about 5 Aussies & several fellow Kiwis.We have all been banned from this forum over the last 2 years for also calling out misinformed tourists their inaccuracies & calling a spade ,a spade.
The farce continues . :dragonchase: (2 ).
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

MarkRobinson wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:13 pm :dragonchase:
Tell me & about 5 Aussies & several fellow Kiwis.We have all been banned from this forum over the last 2 years for also calling out misinformed tourists their inaccuracies & calling a spade ,a spade.
The farce continues . :dragonchase: (2 ).
Don't be so offended then. Real kiwis don't whinge. :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic