Visa overstay

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Visa overstay

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Oh wow...yep you must pay! Visa overstay fines are only waived for those on Tourist Visas or visa exempt entry (ASEAN passport holders).

Because the overstay is more than 30 days you have to pay at the DoI Visa Office opposite PP airport, $10 per day, and purchase an Exit Visa for $30 which is valid for 7 days only.

You cannot pay overstay fines of 30+ at the airport, and if you turn up for a flight you will be denied entry through immigration, detained and taken across the road for a free stay if you can't pay there and then.

Expensive lesson learnt, you need to do your research and ensure you understand what the situation is.

Reference Tourist Visa waivers and month by month extensions of EG EOS's, there has been no official end date set, a directive will be issued once a decision is made, which will likely tie in with certain travel restrictions being eased.
lucathenomad
Expatriate
Italy

Post by lucathenomad »

Thank you guys,
obviously I made the mistake!
My fault and I will pay. Lesson learnt.
More will come :wink:
lucathenomad
Expatriate
Italy

Post by lucathenomad »

I just excuse myself with fact that it has been all very uncertain and impredictable these last months.
I think mistakes will be common.
Good luck everybody
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Damn, that hurts. I bet you were stunned when they told you owe $840. Expensive mistake.

My little experience isn't as costly and I hate to change the topic. But it's a good place for me to vent.

My work visa needed to be renewed on the 17th of June (this month). So I arrived at my agency at 3 pm to have it done on the 17th. They told me since I came in after 11 am I would need to pay an overstay fee for the 17th (which my visa was valid for) and since the following day (the 18th) was a holiday I would need to pay a total of 2 days of overstay fines, an extra $20. My visa did not expire until midnight on the 17th which was technically the 18th at midnight). That really burnt my ass.

I do not know why, but I have always kept the mentality of having a tourist visa and take it in the day it expires. I did not know I could take my work visa in weeks early for renewal and they will date it properly.
Still here, in country...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Ravensnest what you need to take into account is that when you apply via an agency, they then need to get your passport & supporting documentation out to the DoI Visa office, and as with most Government offices 1500 is knock-off time (if not earlier), once your passport arrives at the Visa Office it could then end up in a huge pile of other Visas which means they may not register your passport as been received prior to expiry.

You can apply for your EOS up to 1 month in advance of the expiry date, I always advise people to apply no later than 1 week prior to expiry, give yourself a buffer.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Hijacking this topic

A friend of mine had a rough time and managed to get himself on a long overstay. (currently 28 months on an EG visa)

He's got some money but not enough to pay the full amount. Any suggestions?

#1 can he negotiate the price down get a new visa and stay?

#2 incase he can't negotiate the price down and he pays the full amount will they let him stay? Or still deport him with a ban?

NiceGuyLou
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by NiceGuyLou »

Wow he owes over $8,000? Good luck to him.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Equinix wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:40 pm #1 can he negotiate the price down get a new visa and stay?

#2 incase he can't negotiate the price down and he pays the full amount will they let him stay? Or still deport him with a ban?
How the f**k did they manage that! :facepalm:

There is always room for negotiation with long overstays, but only if your friend has the cash to pay immediately on the spot, and is a skilled negotiator.

Even if he pays the full overstay amount, it is unlikely that they will allow him to purchase a new Visa EOS and remain in country after having overstayed for such a long period, they will most likely make him purchase an Exit Visa at the same time which gives him 7 days to leave the country.

But, never say never...I recently helped someone sort out a 6 month overstay, negotiated the fine down (not by much) and convinced the DoI to allow the individual to purchase a new Visa EOS and stay in country....but that was 6 month overstay, not 28 months!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Is Cambodia so different form Thailand regarding overstay?
If you cant pay in thailand ( max fine is only 20,000 baht) you go to immigration lockup till yo come up with the cash or go to court where usually they lower the fine and kick ya out with being blacklisted for 1 year to forever, depending on how much overstay

SO what happens ur 6 months ++ overstay and rock up to immigration... do they arrest you? Throw you in Jail?
or......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:28 pm Is Cambodia so different form Thailand regarding overstay?
If you cant pay in thailand ( max fine is only 20,000 baht) you go to immigration lockup till yo come up with the cash or go to court where usually they lower the fine and kick ya out with being blacklisted for 1 year to forever, depending on how much overstay

SO what happens ur 6 months ++ overstay and rock up to immigration... do they arrest you? Throw you in Jail?
or......
There is no official published maximum overstay fine in Cambodia. It just keeps accruing.

If you rock up with a long overstay and do not have the funds to pay, yes they generally put in Immigration Detention, unless you can convince them otherwise ...if you are caught on a long overstay, by caught I mean not presenting yourself to the DoI voluntarily, then automatic detention and blacklisting.

You really need to stop trying to compare Cambodian bureaucratic procedures with Thailands, they are very different.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic