Coffee suggestions in Cambodia?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Coffee suggestions in Cambodia?

Post by BklynBoy »

Anyone can suggest good coffee brands to purchase while in Cambodia? Was thinking something local
Is it also possible to purchase Vietnamese coffee in Cambodia?

Not by the cup but 16 oz etc and Definitely not that cold sweet stuff

I noticed Three Corners is one
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Coffee suggestions in Cambodia?

Post by Phnom Poon »

i don't recommend any of the regional coffee
except for 'try everything' or 'help poor farmers' reasons
wrong climate/geography/geology

monstra mihi bona!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:28 pm Anyone can suggest good coffee brands to purchase while in Cambodia? Was thinking something local

I reckon I've tried pretty much all of the local brands regardless of price and personally, I found the 'Mekong blend' version of Three Corners to be the best. However, I tend to agree with Phnom Poon's comment above.
Skankykins
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Skankykins »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:28 pm Anyone can suggest good coffee brands to purchase while in Cambodia? Was thinking something local
Is it also possible to purchase Vietnamese coffee in Cambodia?

Not by the cup but 16 oz etc and Definitely not that cold sweet stuff

Feel Good Cafe on St. 136 (approx. 80m south of Riverside) do a SEA blend that's fairly agreeable.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 pm

I reckon I've tried pretty much all of the local brands regardless of price and personally, I found the 'Mekong blend' version of Three Corners to be the best. However, I tend to agree with Phnom Poon's comment above.
thanks for info Can you purchase Vietnamese coffee in Cambodia.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

If you're looking for coffee to make at home, Rumblefish Specialty Roasters from Kampot have some damn tasty coffee https://www.facebook.com/rumblefishspecialtyroasters/
Skankykins
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Skankykins »

There's even a local version of kopi luwak......the one where the bean's forced through (outwards I'm guessing) some mammal's rectum.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

The first issue is getting real coffee; a lot of coffee here is fake. If you're looking for low-cost coffee, Vin Seng Yu (name?) southeast of Central Market, and also Founan Coffee, just east of O Russei market are at least real coffee. You can ask them to grind it in front of you.

I think both of them have Vietnamese coffee, in fact most of it is Vietnamese.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:33 pm The first issue is getting real coffee; a lot of coffee here is fake. If you're looking for low-cost coffee, Vin Seng Yu (name?) southeast of Central Market, and also Founan Coffee, just east of O Russei market are at least real coffee. You can ask them to grind it in front of you.

I think both of them have Vietnamese coffee, in fact most of it is Vietnamese.
I found the first shop better. It has a lot of customers. THey have Cambodian Coffee from Pailin and Mondulkiri. Plus Laotian from Pakse which means it comes from Paksong on the plateau = It is first class coffee.

They have 100% Arabica, then the robusta and also excelsa. They also claim it is from organic production. For the past years I have been happy with the Pakse Arabica and even take it with me on trips. Right now being stuck at the arse of the world, my generous supply of coffee helps a bit.

Prices are moderate 250 gr for Arabica stands at 3 USD. They want USD and paying in riel comes with a small premium.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Skankykins post is one that, is on the mind's of the wildlife conservation groups. Other Asian countries are big on production of the coffee - also grown in the Kingdom and the most expensive of all coffee Brand's, Malayan Civet that had been saved from being forced to produce coffee bean poop. After a civet eats coffee, it is unable to properly digest it, so the coffee bean comes out with a “more unique flavor”, so people say. Civet-eaten coffee beans, called kopi luwak, are extremely profitable, so most civets are in captivity in coffee farms or taken from the wild for these farms.

http://www.ourpositiveplanet.com/illega ... -cambodia/

Try here for your coffee

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic