Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Post by Yerg »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:08 pm What's 120HPH in miles then, lol?
Put your glasses on Jerry. It has a 100HM range too!!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:08 pm What's 120HPH in miles then, lol?
120 kph is 75 mph.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Does anyone know where in PP I can buy a 29er mtb rim with 36 holes for the spokes ?

Most rims are 32 hole these days, but the rear hub motor I want to use is 36 hole

I can get a Sunringle MTX33 29er 36 hole rim for $50 from an Alibaba seller, but shipping is an extra $316 via UPS. Thats a non starter until the normal postal system starts working again and I can use a cheaper shipping option.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

offroadscholar wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:35 pm Does anyone know where in PP I can buy a 29er mtb rim with 36 holes for the spokes ?

Most rims are 32 hole these days, but the rear hub motor I want to use is 36 hole

I can get a Sunringle MTX33 29er 36 hole rim for $50 from an Alibaba seller, but shipping is an extra $316 via UPS. Thats a non starter until the normal postal system starts working again and I can use a cheaper shipping option.
Have you checked with the used bike dealers on facebook they have lots of parts. Also if you are using disc brakes then using a smaller rim size will work just fine no mods needed.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

beaker wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:10 pm
offroadscholar wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:35 pm Does anyone know where in PP I can buy a 29er mtb rim with 36 holes for the spokes ?

Have you checked with the used bike dealers on facebook they have lots of parts. Also if you are using disc brakes then using a smaller rim size will work just fine no mods needed.
You do know that you can lace a 36 hole hub to a 32 hole rim, right ?
https://www.instructables.com/id/Lacing ... Holes-Rim/
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I have found 28" rim on Ali express for $40. with free shipping.

jimi hendrix
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Beaker
Thanks for that info.
I ordered some stuff off Aliexpress 2 months ago using Sellers Shipping Method. Tracking shows it left China within a few days, but no updates since then. I guess it got to some sort of hub in Singapore and is now in a big pile waiting for flights to resume to Cambodia.

The 36 hole hub to 32 hole rim spoking is interesting. I book marked that but will probably just wait until I can get a 36 hole rim from somewhere.

Finding a used 36 hole rim in PP is one thing, but a used 29er 36 hole might be a big ask ?
Some of the roads in my area/province are quite bad, hence why I want to stick with a 29er rim and ideally tubeless so I can run lower pressure.
The donor bike will be a 29er hardtail mtb.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Not sure if you can get anything from the US, Last Friday I got some stuff via Amazon/DHL delivered in 2 working days despite the warning it might take longer than usual.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:36 am Not sure if you can get anything from the US, Last Friday I got some stuff via Amazon/DHL delivered in 2 working days despite the warning it might take longer than usual.
DHL/Fedex/UPS still work.
However a 29inch rim, albeit light weight, is very bulky so I expect the shipping by courier from the states would be similar to UPS from China, ie several hundred dollars.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

offroadscholar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:06 am
Spigzy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:36 am Not sure if you can get anything from the US, Last Friday I got some stuff via Amazon/DHL delivered in 2 working days despite the warning it might take longer than usual.
DHL/Fedex/UPS still work.
However a 29inch rim, albeit light weight, is very bulky so I expect the shipping by courier from the states would be similar to UPS from China, ie several hundred dollars.
My rim with the spokes to lace my motor to it was $50. shipping using FedEx from the US
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic