Treating a Swollen Elbow in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Treating a Swollen Elbow in Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

It must be swollen elbow season because there are a bunch of expats I know who have this elbow thing. A big red swollen growth on the elbow. (Possibly caused by heavy-lifting of beer cans. :beer1: )
If we were in a western country I'd advise them to go to the doctor, but hey, most people I know here avoid doctors unless they are dying. Now some people say you should lance the swelling and empty the liquid, while others say that you should NOT stick a needle in your arm because of possible infection, and that antibiotics and anti-inflammatories are the way to go.
I know that this is not a medical forum and that your opinions on this are totally useless, but if you've had dealings with this swollen elbow thing - and if all worked out for the best and they haven't amputated your arm - please post your experience.
Also post if you did get your arm amputated because you fked up, that would be a timely warning I guess.
Thanks all.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

I’m no doctor, nor do I live the ideal healthy clean lifestyle

Post by Freightdog »

Is it
1) a swelling in the skin/muscle tissues? Like bruising without the black bit?
Maybe caused by repetitive strain type injuries of using the elbow to support and pivot the beer towards the orifice?
Or
2) an abscess/infection type swelling? Like bites, infected cuts, with all the potential for puss, etc?
Maybe caused by resting on and pissing off an insect, or picking up splinters in puddles of beer on older bar tops, while using the elbow to support and pivot the beer...
Or
3) a joint swelling? With all the attendant pain of gout, that seems to radiate outward into the surrounding areas?
Maybe caused by the opulent lifestyle, with fine food and even finer beer...

Treatments
1) Become an ambidextrous drinker, use the affected limb for emphatic gesticulations (starting slowly, gently at first). Then alternate between limbs to achieve symmetry.
2) Become an ambidextrous drinker, use the affected limb for emphatic gesticulations (Getting air to the affected lump). Be selective of which puddle of someone else’s beer one plants ones elbow, etc
3) Become an ambidextrous drinker, guard the affected limb jealously, avoid contact with objects like feathers, or harder. Drink more fine beer to assist in moving the symptoms to another joint/location, and dull the sensations.

This assessment brought to you, FOC, from years of apathy.
You’re welcome.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic