Windows 10 copy

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Windows 10 copy

Post by Username Taken »

thold wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:53 am Pay for Windows? For what? If you don't use the Adobe package, all you need is a Linux based system.
Totally agree. This would be the first time I've ever paid for licensed software, but there was a valid reason for doing so.
I've been promising myself for years that my next laptop will be running Linux. The next one for sure. :thumb:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:18 am
Duncan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:55 am
Username Taken wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:50 am DOS is Disk Operating System.
What it means is that they will install the basic files necessary to start the computer, from which you can then . . . . . . . . . . install Windows 10 (or any other Operating System).

I bought 3 laptops from a shop on Kampuchea Krom last year. They all had a cracked copy of Windows 10 on them at no extra cost.
I told the guy that I wanted licensed copies of W10, and that cost me an extra $70 each.

As mentioned above, the cracked copy may be ok but will possibly be vulnerable to malware.

You could try buying a second-hand laptop that has a licenced copy of Windows already (must have the sticker with the serial number). There is no such thing as a licenced CD/DVD, they are all the same. But you must have that sticker with serial number to register and activate the Windows.

But would a Anti-virus program loaded onto the computer stop any malware ? or would a Anti-virus program assume the copy was malware and not load on ?
A licenced copy of Windows will give you peace of mind.
However, the boy will probably be the only kid in Cambodia with a licenced copy of Windows.

Go for it Duncan. Just get the cracked copy.
You can install Malwarebytes to scan for viruses. It will find the crack file 'KMSpico', but you just need to tell it not to scan that folder.
It should work fine for him for the next few years.

Having said that, the thing that has killed my kid's computers over the years is when they install games on it and their cousins come to play the game. They start bashing the keyboard, then they turn it off instead of shutting it down properly, etc.
Girl
Her.

OK, Thank's guys, Looks like a cheapie with copy for now.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:16 am From what I've seen, the disadvantages are that it can start to break down and not work, although not sure how long this takes. Second disadvantage are that there are no security updates, which leaves the computer vulnerable to malware, hacking, but this may not be a serious concern for young people with no information that needs to be secured.
Microsoft have designed it intentionally so some things don't work. To stop people using illegal copies.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

No need for pirated versions.

Get a license key from one of the many suppliers at at All Key Shop. Yes, prices are ridiculously low but these are original keys. Suppliers operate in the gray area of buying/selling unused volume licenses as purchased by large companies that buy them by the thousands. Use PayPal to purchase the key for fast reimbursement if the key does not work for some reason.

Download the *original* Win 10 software at Microsoft, use their Media Creation tool to create a USB stick with the necessary media/install files or burn these to DVD. Use the media + your newly purchased key to install Windows 10, then run and update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-win ... re-prices/
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Lenovo makes solid/rugged computers (perfect for students) and they are overlooked by the locals for some reason. Availability is plentiful and cheap. If you buy one with no operating system- it's normally a $5 install that you should haggle to be included in the purchase price. If you hunt a good one can be had for $250.

the 7th down on the list (second i7) is great for $235
https://www.khmer24.com/en/lenovo-think ... 09976.html

this is not very old at all with great specs, $370

https://www.khmer24.com/en/lenovo-ideap ... 06146.html
Still here, in country...
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Just for reference and comparison, I believe we have been quoted $50 just to install the fake windows on a computer that is not working.

If you want real Windows, it may not even be easy to find. We did buy a brand new computer with it though in Phnom Penh. In my experience, the vendors are generally honest about it, but some don't even get what the issue is.

Finally, it could be a good idea to install Linux Ubuntu, it's totally free and possibly interesting to try a new OS.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Like Flexxman says, you can buy a legit key for just a few dollars. I got mine on Ebay.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:14 pm Like Flexxman says, you can buy a legit key for just a few dollars. I got mine on Ebay.
Yep, there are various ways to purchase legit & cheap keys. My previous post ^ also included a link to the Microsoft site where you can download the necessary *original* software and find tutorials how to do it. At the bottom of the page you can change the region if you want to download for a language other than US-EN.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

If you just want the laptop for basic tasks - office type stuff and media consumption, I would definitely use Linux over a hacked copy of Windows any day.

For basic tasks these days, all you really need is a browser and a media player - both of which are easy to use on Linux, even if the rest of it can be quite daunting for those not technically minded.

Google's Chrome OS is basically an operating system built around the browser and most people can get everything they need to get done using this. Chrome OS is simply a type of Linux.

I'd much prefer to use this than a random copy of Windows that some Chinese schoolkids have laden with lord-knows-what.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

there's no need for cracked windows

just download the real thing from microsoft
a few things are restricted without activating your copy, but nothing too important for a student

or as others suggest, get a license key for $20-30 online
note these are nearly all oem keys which lock to your motherboard, you can't use it again on another machine

it's a scandal that retail from microsoft in usa is $120, from microsoft cambodia, $200
that sushi guy must be making a mint from this racket, probably drives a merc

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic