Windows 10 copy

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Windows 10 copy

Post by Duncan »

What are the disadvantages of buying a [ cheap ] new computer in Cambodia if it has a copy of the Windows 10, if it is to be only used for students to do online school work. ?

I'm working on the theory of,, if it lasts for 2 / 3 years they will want a good one and they will deserve a good one if their school work is good, and besides that, technology is changing so fast in 3 years time Microsoft will be putting Windows 399 ? in all their computers.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Windows 10 copy

Post by daeum_tnaot »

From what I've seen, the disadvantages are that it can start to break down and not work, although not sure how long this takes. Second disadvantage are that there are no security updates, which leaves the computer vulnerable to malware, hacking, but this may not be a serious concern for young people with no information that needs to be secured.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

One computer shop says , Not have Windows 10 , Have DOS .

Someone explain that to a computer dummy . Is it better than a Win 10 copy ?
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

DOS is Disk Operating System.
What it means is that they will install the basic files necessary to start the computer, from which you can then . . . . . . . . . . install Windows 10 (or any other Operating System).

I bought 3 laptops from a shop on Kampuchea Krom last year. They all had a cracked copy of Windows 10 on them at no extra cost.
I told the guy that I wanted licensed copies of W10, and that cost me an extra $70 each.

As mentioned above, the cracked copy may be ok but will possibly be vulnerable to malware.

You could try buying a second-hand laptop that has a licenced copy of Windows already (must have the sticker with the serial number). There is no such thing as a licenced CD/DVD, they are all the same. But you must have that sticker with serial number to register and activate the Windows.
thold
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by thold »

Pay for Windows? For what? If you don't use the Adobe package, all you need is a Linux based system. If you use, a good vitamin solves the problem. And updates also work. For this money it is better to buy food for poor people than to support large corporations.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:50 am DOS is Disk Operating System.
What it means is that they will install the basic files necessary to start the computer, from which you can then . . . . . . . . . . install Windows 10 (or any other Operating System).

I bought 3 laptops from a shop on Kampuchea Krom last year. They all had a cracked copy of Windows 10 on them at no extra cost.
I told the guy that I wanted licensed copies of W10, and that cost me an extra $70 each.

As mentioned above, the cracked copy may be ok but will possibly be vulnerable to malware.

You could try buying a second-hand laptop that has a licenced copy of Windows already (must have the sticker with the serial number). There is no such thing as a licenced CD/DVD, they are all the same. But you must have that sticker with serial number to register and activate the Windows.

But would a Anti-virus program loaded onto the computer stop any malware ? or would a Anti-virus program assume the copy was malware and not load on ?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Buy a legit version online, it's super easy. Then Bill Gates can continue to bring mosquito nets to Cambodia, feed the hungry & all that jazz that governments around the world should be doing.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I've been using a pirated version of windows 10 since it came out without any problems. The only thing you need to do is download it from your favorite torrrent site and also download KMSpico to activate it. You will need to add KMSpico as an exception when the Windows Defender marks it as harmful, easy to do.

I get all the updates, by the way, windows update is slow and BS.

For the first initial update use the Windows Update Assistant to bring the version you get from torrent to latest version. It goes right to what you need instead of loading one update after another after another....

For day to day updates use WUMT (windows update mini tool) instead fast and easy and finds updates better and sooner than the stock windows updater.

WUMT here or google it ---> https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ ... itool.html

Windows Update Assistant --->https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -assistant
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:55 am
Username Taken wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:50 am DOS is Disk Operating System.

But would a Anti-virus program loaded onto the computer stop any malware ? or would a Anti-virus program assume the copy was malware and not load on ?
A licenced copy of Windows will give you peace of mind.
However, the boy will probably be the only kid in Cambodia with a licenced copy of Windows.

Go for it Duncan. Just get the cracked copy.
You can install Malwarebytes to scan for viruses. It will find the crack file 'KMSpico', but you just need to tell it not to scan that folder.
It should work fine for him for the next few years.

Having said that, the thing that has killed my kid's computers over the years is when they install games on it and their cousins come to play the game. They start bashing the keyboard, then they turn it off instead of shutting it down properly, etc.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

beaker wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:04 am I've been using a pirated version of windows 10 since it came out without any problems. The only thing you need to do is download it from your favorite torrrent site and also download KMSpico to activate it. You will need to add KMSpico as an exception when the Windows Defender marks it as harmful, easy to do.
Forget about torrents Duncan, just get the shop to install windows and crack it for you.

The K.I.S.S. principle. Even if you needed to get a copy of Windows 10, I'm sure you could get it at many shops in PP for a couple of bucks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic