Kicking off in America

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Kicking off in America

Post by Phnom Poon »

aka whitewash, or should that be blackwash

monstra mihi bona!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Even ‘Darkie’ toothpaste, famous in Taiwan for generations, had to change.

To ‘Darlie’ toothpaste.

So as not offend the majority black populations in Asia - aka, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

dude that is mad offensive... they need to change more then the name.. look at that shit..... or if they dont change it.. no problem.. My personal opinion is they dont need to change it but will deal w/ any consequences, bad press etc ...

another thing... that offends me.. and i am not black.. or if there was some product w a derogatory lookng asian person or whatever.. that would be offensive to me. ...
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

BklynBoy wrote:another thing... that offends me.. and i am not black.. or if there was some product w a derogatory lookng asian person or whatever.. that would be offensive to me. ...
How many movies or products play on the fact that westerners find Asian women .. well ... and Asian men ... well ...

There’s a world of offense out there. Just need to be in constantly offended frame of mind enough to find it in every corner.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:40 am How many movies or products play on the fact that westerners find Asian women .. well ... and Asian men ... well ...
Hmmm, what do you mean?
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:25 am Even ‘Darkie’ toothpaste, famous in Taiwan for generations, had to change.

To ‘Darlie’ toothpaste.

So as not offend the majority black populations in Asia - aka, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Shanghai, etc.
This name change (actually only 1 letter) was caused when Hawley and Hazel was purchased by Colgate Palmolive back in the late eighties. It was arguably the best selling toothpaste in Asia at that time. I used to take tubes of it home to entertain my friends.
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:40 am How many movies or products play on the fact that westerners find Asian women .. well ... and Asian men ... well ...
Hmmm, what do you mean?
A little bit irony maybe... The part of Suzie Wong (Mei Ling) was played by Nancy Kwan who has Hong Kong/English parents. When I saw that movie I didn't even think she look chinese at all...I think she westerner and try to look chinese.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Sir Stephen wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:49 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 am
Hmmm, what do you mean?
A little bit irony maybe... The part of Suzie Wong (Mei Ling) was played by Nancy Kwan who has Hong Kong/English parents. When I saw that movie I didn't even think she look chinese at all...I think she westerner and try to look chinese.
I think she looks quite Asian. Then again, I'm wildly racist.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

A little entertainment ... in this time of virus.

Been sterilizing masks after use everyday. The virus is killed with low dry heat, 160-170 degrees Fahrenheit.

Had to reset the oven. Didn’t realize it defaulted to 360 degrees Fahrenheit. After 30 minutes the two masks melted together into a puddle. The only thing visible left, the metal nose bridges. After cooling down, the puddle almost slid right off the ceramic plate.

Ordered take out from Olive Garden. Prepaid through the app. Drove up to pick up. The guy comes out with food. And says..
“Are you sure you don’t want to leave a tip?”

So, yeah ....
I’m the guy who doesn’t tip for take out food.

Let the sticks and stones fly...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic